• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

ABBREE CB 27 and 42 inch Blade type portable radio antennas

Status
Not open for further replies.

rescuecomm

We know that the OEM 10 inch antennas at CB frequencies really limit the range of CB walkie talkies. I noticed that their are now a couple of blade type military style antennas 27 and 42 inches available. Has anyone checked these out versus the original antennas? Maybe MILSIM users? Just for kicks and giggles, I have been thinking that hiding in plain sight using a couple of these for 1 mile communications might be a real trick. Especially with the sunspot cycle really tanking compared to the 1980's when I last used these things. My current setup is Icom UHF radios on GMRS.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
A 42 inch antenna is most definitely going to work better than a 10 inch OEM. That shouldn't even be in question. You should have no problems reaching a mile with either that setup or the GMRS, for that matter.

W9WSS

Retired LEO
Premium Subscriber
Do you have a part # or vendor for these antennas? I have a new President Randy FCC AM walkie-talkie which actually has a dynamite receiver on a mobile or base omni antenna.

prcguy

I bought one of these antennas off Ebay and it broke within 10 minutes of opening the package. The plastic tube that covers the matching coil stuff came off and in the process moved some of the coil and a matching capacitor around and it was made so cheap and crappy I just tossed it in the trash can.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Periodically Harbor Freight gives away free tape measures.

Make your own.
12_FREE_1__x_25_FT._TAPE_MEASURE_1467848611.1992.png

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Hold on mmckenna. Are you saying that one could solder tape from a tape measure onto a BNC connector and will work as an antenna? If so how long is too long?

I've made cheap/easy Yagi's out of Harbor Freight tape measures. I had to DF some interference to one of our UHF repeaters and didn't have a UHF Yagi, so I built my own out of some PVC pipe for the boom and the old tape measure.

Worked well enough that I found the interference and got them to resolve it.

No reason why you couldn't make a vertical out of it. As for how long is too long, probably 2 or 3 feet and it'll flex over on it's own. Not going to work for a 1/4 wave CB antenna, but no reason you couldn't do a 1/4 wave VHF and that would resonate at 70cm also. Probably going to be as crappy as any of the others.

The 'tacti-cool' role players got in on it also: DIY "Tactical" Tape Measure Antenna - Vertical Half-Wave Dipole (not a Yagi) - AR15.COM

rescuecomm

So how much does the long MBITER blade cost? I guess it has a TNC fitting so no go. I did find the SA-2 antenna which is 24 inches long with a BNC connector.

KD8DVR

We know that the OEM 10 inch antennas at CB frequencies really limit the range of CB walkie talkies. I noticed that their are now a couple of blade type military style antennas 27 and 42 inches available. Has anyone checked these out versus the original antennas? Maybe MILSIM users? Just for kicks and giggles, I have been thinking that hiding in plain sight using a couple of these for 1 mile communications might be a real trick. Especially with the sunspot cycle really tanking compared to the 1980's when I last used these things. My current setup is Icom UHF radios on GMRS.

I got one off Amazon. Definitely makes an improvement on receive. I live right next to (traffic noise isn't as bad as you may think) I-71 and you'd think their'd be tons of CB traffic. Not so. So I couldn't really test transmit ability.

Status
Not open for further replies.