Abilene EDACS, Fire Dispatch

Status
Not open for further replies.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Here is the thread that first tipped me off:

http://forums.radioreference.com/radio-shack-scanners/214738-pro-106-no-p25.html

I should have said I set 155.685 on "auto" for mode & "search" for squelch. Like the posting indicated on 6/24/2011 @ 7:21 pm, N81AA recommended this.

Previously, I tried that which was recommended, entering the frequency twice, but this actually worked quite well.
Changing Nolan to "search", did you happen to catch a glimpse of what NAC might have come up? The database entry of 177 may be incorrect. Or, perhaps, it has changed since they first started using digital. I'm not down there but rarely, and not often long enough to camp out for an extended frequency search.

ericsnowman8

Premium Subscriber
The ambulance service, MetroCare, is a private company. they operate on 154.2425

The AFD runs a first responder service on all medical calls and our units operate on the EDACS system, AFD tac-2

Dont they start at tac 2 and go up from there on further calls. I've never heard them higher than tac 3.

ericsnowman8

Premium Subscriber
Has anyone else noticed the edacs system is simulcast in the 900 range. I had one scan net trunk tracking and another scanning around 900. I could hear the exact same thing on both frequencies. I can see that on some police cars they have the shorter 900 antennas. What is the purpose of this extra 900 system?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Has anyone else noticed the edacs system is simulcast in the 900 range. I had one scan net trunk tracking and another scanning around 900. I could hear the exact same thing on both frequencies. I can see that on some police cars they have the shorter 900 antennas. What is the purpose of this extra 900 system?
You may have been hearing an image. There's no current 900MHz licenses for anyone (city, county, or otherwise) in Taylor County. There is a license for 4940.0000, apparently data (maybe MDT's?).

fasteddy64

Dont they start at tac 2 and go up from there on further calls. I've never heard them higher than tac 3.

The only times we go higher than Tac-3 would be if we had more than one incident going on with multiple units operating. Or if we are operating with other agencies and need a patch to their frequencies. Our dispatch center can patch to any VHF channel, like Texas Fire 1, etc....

Fireground operations will always be analog here. The digital audio does wierd thigs when talking through an SCBA facepiece, and also the large amounts of background noise can cause it to behave strangely as well.

fasteddy64

There is nothing on 900 that I am aware of. We have the EDACS radios, the MDC's and a GPS/Vehicle locating system in all of our equipment.

ericsnowman8

Premium Subscriber
Someone scan through the 900 range. I swear I have heard the edacs system multiple times. You can even hear the control channel.

ericsnowman8

Premium Subscriber
Also how does the city patch the county into the edacs system. When that guy broke out of the jail they had the county patched through at first on a single digit talkgroup then digital on the police talkgroups. The radio id was very strange, it wasnt like the rest of the police.

T

trunkerman63

Sounds like some image rejection problems with the radio, e-8.

fasteddy64

Also how does the city patch the county into the edacs system. When that guy broke out of the jail they had the county patched through at first on a single digit talkgroup then digital on the police talkgroups. The radio id was very strange, it wasnt like the rest of the police.

The dispatcher has the capability from her console to select any VHF channel, I think there is a rack of 4 VHF radios up there. Not sure about the ID, something that comes from the Maestro console would be my guess.

Many of the staff vehicles as well as all of the Brush trucks can as well, the just have a dual radio system and a box that ties the 800mhz and VHF radios together.

ericsnowman8

Premium Subscriber
I can hear a control channel on 949.6875, it is strong. I don't know if it is the city or if it is aep. AEP also uses an edacs system

fasteddy64

I can hear a control channel on 949.6875, it is strong. I don't know if it is the city or if it is aep. AEP also uses an edacs system

I have nothing at all on 949.6875, tried 2 different scanners, both on outdoor antennas, I live across from Cooper High.

The AEP EDACS system is on 800 mhz, I currently have their control channel on 855.6875

ericsnowman8

Premium Subscriber
I guess it is just something in my scanner. I could pick it up on my yaesu radio it was coming in about s5.

Status
Not open for further replies.