Abilene Public Safety?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Armadillo5

Premium Subscriber
I was wondering if anyone has found the talkgroups for the new Abilene TRS? I see a few for AFD but was wondering about the rest like APD?

I did read about the Provoice but was just curious. Looking to make a trip that way and thought about programming my radio.

Thanx.

tj20

APD is all provoice so we are all SOL in monitoring them. Everything else is analog except for a few fire talkgroups.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
tj20 said:
APD is all provoice so we are all SOL in monitoring them. Everything else is analog except for a few fire talkgroups.
Not quite, just requires an investment and a little work. See here.

scanaholic

Well, the technical ran off and left me, but if the Pro-433 could be converted, I'd try to find a tech with some smart to do the job!

Good work, Lou. The brass at the pd was telling everyone there was NO WAy they could be monitored. Guess we know better now!

Armadillo5

Premium Subscriber
So how is it that in San Antonio or other places we see list's of talkgroups posted on this website given they are Provoice?

I was thinking that even if it is Provoice the talkgroups might still pop up on a display. I am no expert but just wondering.

So the only thing to listen to is AFD and maybe EMS?

Thank you for the help. Interesting read on how to decode.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
remod said:
So how is it that in San Antonio or other places we see list's of talkgroups posted on this website given they are Provoice?...
See the link I supplied earlier. Once you have that set up, you can monitor ProVoice, including EDACS ESK. I will grant that it is not portable, but at least you can hear. As for San Antonio, take a look at Lindsay's shack in this thread. In the fourth picture will see a virtual PCR-2500 display tuned to the Bexar County SO.

scanaholic

I'll put it in the form of a question (Jeopardy). Would this work for a Shack Pro-433?

Thanky!

Sounds like a ton of electronics has to be added to the existing radio. I doubt there's anyone here in Abilene that's smart enough to do that for me. I sure ain't. No one here could even set it up to trunk! It took a guy named Dick calling long dx from OR to walk me through, and we got it to trunking. Took it to two radio guys, one the owner of Howard Radio, and they couldn't come close to setting it to trunk.

Anyway, it's nice to dream, and it would be nice to have a radio to hear Provoice.
Glad someone has cracked the safe on it.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
scanaholic said:
If I could edit, I'd delete my last "dumb" post.

Thanks for nada.
???? This is a holiday weekend, I guess people could be away from the computer for a day or so...

In answer to your question, I don't know. Does the 433 supply a 10.7 MHz IF output? The "existing radio" (as you referred to it) doesn't really get anything added to it. Did you look at the diagram in the Wiki?

scanaholic

Hi, Lou.

I checked the diagram over, and looks like someone with more money than brains and owes no bills could do it. I happen to pay bills here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.