Abilene TRS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thunderbolt

Global Database Administrator
I see that the city of Abilene has applied to the FCC to implement a five-site, digital simulcast TRS. Does anyone know what kind of system they are planning on implementing? Apparently, they want to have the system up and running very soon, as they have applied for an STA.

73's

Ron

Attachments

• Abilene TX.pdf
    145.2 KB · Views: 218

mam1081

Feed Provider
Good catch. They are the ones that put in SA's system, aren't they? Are they a "M/A Com" only business? :p

Doesn't M/A Com have a "P25^IP" system (a fancy-named P25 system)? Maybe Abilene will catch them on it before it's too late. The news article mentions patches to various other public safety agencies, so maybe they are going to do the same thing Oklahoma City is trying to do - put massive amounts of patches on the system.

Last edited:

tj20

From the person I talked to said it is going to be modeled after the one in San Antonio. I am waiting for the complaints from the officers when the system is set up. Right now they say they can't use their vhf radios in some buildings. Do they really think the digital 800mhz is really going to be better? Although they said several repeaters would be set up around the city. I think it's time for me to sell my Pro 94, 92b, and 2066.

rattlerbb01

TX/LA Database Admin
Database Admin
It's amazing how the digital, albeit Provoice, is identical in audio quality to my first generation BC785D with an external powered speaker. I used to think that there was something to be yearned for when I first bought it, but after hearing both APCO 25 and PROVOICE in person from a radio on those types of systems, I realize that the scanner can really do a good job, provided it has a good signal. I hope that it really does work for the firefighters if they ever have to go deep into a basement.

Status
Not open for further replies.