Ability to Delete Your Own Posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

hotdjdave

K9DJW - Senior Member
Database Admin
I have been to other forums that use vBulletin. On the others, I have the ability to delete my own post as an option in the Edit utility. This is invaluable for a number of reasons, one being that if you accidentally double post.

Is there anyway to add this feature to our forum?

Last edited:

swest90

Problem is that people come in later and delete or edit out their informative posts. I have noticed you can edit your own posts for it seems 12-24 hours after you post it. Plenty of time to change something if you make an error. About double posts, I doubt its any big deal for the mod they have to read the forums anyway and it only takes a few clicks to remove a post.

STiMULi

Some forums allow the deletion of your post as long as someone has no posted behind you.

This could work here.

Also a bit more time in editing your post before the edited post comes up.

electricsheep

As I have noted elsewhere, on the sites I have run in the past the option to infinitely edit or delete posts leads to a host of problems, not the least of which is lack of accountability for posts. It lead to people starting very provacative threads, then just deleting their initial post after the furor is in full swing.

I have seen many a forum slide into chaos because of the ability to delete posts at any time, and the loss of valuable data when someone decides they have been pissed off enough to leave the forum and decide to delete all their posts as a last act.

hotdjdave

K9DJW - Senior Member
Database Admin
Just a note: I was not implying that there should be indefinite ability to delete or edit a post. The current time limit here on RR to edit a post is quite sufficient. I would just like to add the ability to delete a post, also. Maybe the time limit to delete a post could be less than the current time limit to edit a post - say a few hours.

ctrl

MatteBlack said:
As I have noted elsewhere, on the sites I have run in the past the option to infinitely edit or delete posts leads to a host of problems, not the least of which is lack of accountability for posts. It lead to people starting very provacative threads, then just deleting their initial post after the furor is in full swing.

I have seen many a forum slide into chaos because of the ability to delete posts at any time, and the loss of valuable data when someone decides they have been pissed off enough to leave the forum and decide to delete all their posts as a last act.

Yup, same here. Deleting own posts, is baaaaaaad.

hotdjdave

K9DJW - Senior Member
Database Admin
ctrl said:
Yup, same here. Deleting own posts, is baaaaaaad.
You are using the example where a user is able to delete a post at any time. I am only implying that a post be able to be delete within a very short time after posting it to undo certain errors, such as double posts.

I am only talking about hours or even minutes...not days or unlimited.

You must make a distinction between the ability to delete a post in a matter of a short period as opposed to a long period or indefinitely.

P

ProBob

Heres a good idea, make it so you can only edit the post 5 minutes after you post it. Or put a different value of time, Ie 15 minutes, 20 minutes, etc. This will make it so you can catch spelling errors, etc. As for the delete option, that should also have a time trial on it as well. Maybe you can make it so the user can only delete their posts 5 minutes after they post. This way you can catch 'double posts' and delete them. As per making it so you can edit/delete posts at any time is a bad idea. Just as some stated, it is possible for people (scammers, liars, frauds, etc) to edit or delete their listing after they sell/trade the item with you, thus being to trace and making you look like a complete liar and having nothing to go by, and no proof whatsoever. Not a good idea if you want protection from RR. But I think the time trial is a good idea, and I know it can be done with Vbulletin.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Folks,

Im considering.... however please understand that much of my focus, development time, and management, needs to be directed to the radioreference.com database, not the forums.

Frankly, and I'm not complaining (I tihnk), but I really spend 80% of my time managing issues here, rather than managing issues that started this whole thing in the first place.

So understand that when I prioritize development, the forums stands behind the reference components of radioreference.com.

hotdjdave

K9DJW - Senior Member
Database Admin
No Hurry

blantonl said:
Folks, Im considering.... however please understand that much of my focus, development time, and management, needs to be directed to the radioreference.com database, not the forums...when I prioritize development, the forums stands behind the reference components of radioreference.com.
Completely understandable - I agree with your priority. I brought up the issue for consideration and to possibly make the site a little better for all. It has been this way all along; waiting a while longer to make the change is not a big deal - no hurry.

Thank you for your consideration, hard work, and devotion.

Comint

Premium Subscriber
ProBob said:
Heres a good idea, make it so you can only edit the post 5 minutes after you post it. Or put a different value of time, Ie 15 minutes, 20 minutes, etc. This will make it so you can catch spelling errors, etc. As for the delete option, that should also have a time trial on it as well. Maybe you can make it so the user can only delete their posts 5 minutes after they post. This way you can catch 'double posts' and delete them.

It is my understanding that your post can already be edited for a period after you post it. Can't remember the limit, but I believe it is in the hours range.

If you duplicate a post, why not just edit the second post and replace all its content, with a comment such as "Duplicate post. Deleted".

Comint.

NeFire242

Premium Subscriber
Instead of trying to find a way to delete a duplicate post, solve the issue that creates the fact a second is even produced.

pacrat551

TX Admin
Database Admin
Remember that you can request a post be deleted. A moderater will be along to happliy delete that post for you. You can also click on the report this post to a moderator and request to have post deleted.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
As Lindsay points out, his main concern is development and managing the Database part of this site. The reason he has moderators at all (he used to do it himself) is so that he can devote his time to the site and not the forums. That said, I will tell you that as a moderator of most of the forums here, I don't want users to have the ability to delete their own posts; as stated above by others, it is a bad idea. The fact that you cannot delete your posts is somewhat of a deterrent from trolling and other such nonsense. I think that the amount of time you have to edit a post is way too long now. I think it should be cut down to about 15 minutes at the most. And, if you have not noticed, you cannot edit your posts at all in the Sales/Wanted forums. The reason for that should be obvious.

[StandOnSoapbox]
When you post, there are two buttons you can press; one says "Submit Reply" and the other says "Preview Post". If I was in charge of the world (which I am not :lol: ) users would have only one button, "Preview Post", and then only after the preview is displayed could you "Submit Reply". If everyone used the Preview Post facility, and of course actually read their own post, before submitting, this topic started by Dave would have hardly any replies to it.
[/StandOnSoapbox]

Double posting is a user problem. Occasionally, and only when Lindsay is got his fingers in the vBulletin stuff, there is a big delay between pressing the submit button and it happening, any other double postings is user error. Click once and wait.

P

ProBob

loumaag said:
Double posting is a user problem. Occasionally, and only when Lindsay is got his fingers in the vBulletin stuff, there is a big delay between pressing the submit button and it happening, any other double postings is user error. Click once and wait.

Actually, I'm going to argue that.

When a user "double posts," it cannot be in any way the user's fault. Due to there being a "post limit" to prevent spam in the VBulletin - there is a function that disables one's posting for 60 seconds after every post. If one were to accidently hit the 'Submit Reply'
button more then once, and if it were infact the user's fault, a message would appear telling the user that the administrator has specified that users cannot post more then one message every sixty seconds. I've accidently posted multible posts in the past, wherein I hit the 'Submit Reply' button ONCE and it happened. It's a problem with the boards, not the user. Don't go blaming the user just because there's a problem with something. It's not always the user's fault...... sometimes there's stuff that goes on here on the boards that the moderators' faults too!!!

Radio1114

pacrat551 said:
Remember that you can request a post be deleted. A moderater will be along to happliy delete that post for you. You can also click on the report this post to a moderator and request to have post deleted.

How come then when any time I or many others do request to delete a post becuase something is sold etc.They the moderators never do it.Also last time I clicked on report a post I got a nasty reply.So now I never report a post.Moderators are also normal people same as we are I know I am one on another site.But I find sometimes they are a little to anxious to delete other things that are not quite so important.Don,t get me wrong some of the moderators do a great job.But then you also have some that sit on the side lines waiting for things to occur.

Status
Not open for further replies.