"ABL" used by NYSP

Status
Not open for further replies.

riveter

Premium Subscriber
I've heard mention by the NYSP, especially in the context of traffic stop information, of something called ABL. A dispatcher will have info for some RMP somewhere and will say, for instance, '2K42, stand by, I'll put it through ABL,' and that seems to end the discussion. This leaves me wondering what ABL is, because Google doesn't give me any clues. I suspect it's an IP-over-RF data system for the RMP laptops, but I'm by no means sure and wondered if anybody could enlighten me. Thanks!

On a side note, there was a similar Three-Letter-Acronym I was also confused about that I forget. I think it had to do with some other electronic system, maybe an NCIC check or something- had a J in the acronym. That's probably balls for information, but I'll put it out there anyway :p

LathamScan

Premium Subscriber
I believe they may be saying "AVL" instead. SP cars, at least here in Troop G, are using tablet computers with broadband wireless service, and part of the setup includes Automate Vehicle Location. To be short, instead of saying I'll send it to your MDT the may be saying AVL instead.

Just a thought.
Kevin

Warthog1

Silent Key
Yes, it's AVL.
I got to see one work up here in Zone 3 (Troop G). The Trooper I was talking with was showing me the locations of other units on a computer map.

riveter

Premium Subscriber
Ahh thank you gentlemen, I guess I misheard the acronym on radio.

philb623

Premium Subscriber
NCIC - National Crime information center, which is maintained by the FBI. NCIC is a computerized index of criminal justice information (i.e.- criminal record history information, fugitives, stolen properties, missing persons). It is available to Federal, state, and local law enforcement and other criminal justice agencies and is operational 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. The following link will give you more information National Crime Information Center (NCIC) - FBI Information Systems

D

DaveNF2G

The OP mentioned the letter J. The acronym in question is DCJS - the state's Department of Criminal Justice Services. They are New York's crime record keepers.

sc800

The acronym with the J in it is probably SJS (Spectrum Justice System), which is their computerized records management software. A lot of times they will give an SJS number which is like a blotter number over the radio

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
SJS (Spectrum Justice System)...sc8 beat me to it. It is their Records Management System and it allows agencies to enter Incident, Arrest, etc. reports and transmit them directly to DCJS for uniform crime reporting (UCR). It was created and is maintained by DCJS. Alot of agencies in NY use it because it's free. Orange County used it for many years until the recent countywide switch to IMPACT.

Status
Not open for further replies.