• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

? about arranging freqs and id's

Status
Not open for further replies.

wfdbackdraft

My question is a general one about entering frequencies and id numbers into a scanner, mainly how am I supposed to arrange them?
I bought a Uniden BCT8 trunking scanner, and I've been searching this forum for my question with no luck. We have 2 tower locations here in Wilmington, NC., and I was wondering if I should combine all the freqs. into one bank, or do they need to be separated into different banks?
Also, I understand that I have 5 "banks", with 5 "lists" inside each bank. I wanted to put all of my fire in one bank, ems in another, and police and sheriff into a few more. But when I have all of those banks selected, and go into the trunking mode, the only id's that I pick up, are the ones in the 1st bank. Does this mean that I can only enter id's into the one bank, and scan only that bank?
Basically, how do I set up a trunking scanner to get the most use out of all the banks and lists?
Thanks for any help that you can give me,
Michael

mciupa

Two towers = two banks The strongest control channel will over-rule the other one.

Each list can be a "specialty" . Put Fire in List 1 ,EMS in List 2 and so on. When an incident comes up you can de-select or inactivate the lists not required.

Sounds like a well organized approach Michael. :)

Welcome to RR :)

wfdbackdraft

Ok, so I program the towers into banks one and two. Do I keep both of them selected?
As far as the lists go, there are more than 10 id's for each department. (police, fire, ect.) So I can only scan the 50 id's in bank one? I'll keep the main ones in those lists I guess.
Right now if I want to check out the id's in the other banks, I have to de-select trunking, select the bank that the other id's are in, de-select bank one, and re-enter trunking mode. This is a PITA!! Is this as good as it gets?

wfdbackdraft

When I have both banks selected, the scanner wants to stop on bank 2's lists. They're blank!!!!! What do Ineed to do? Copy the lists from bank 1 to bank 2?

wfdbackdraft

When using the control channel only feature, I don't need to put in all of those freq.'s right? Could I just put the control channels for both towers into the same bank?

mciupa

That is correct . However , be sure to enter primary and alternate control channels .
If the primary goes down for some reason , the alternate will be used temporarily as a control channel and you will still keep tracking the system.

Good luck. :)

Last edited:

DaveH

mciupa said:
That ia correct . However , be sure to enter primary and alternate control channels .
If the primary goes down for some reason , the alternate will be used temporarily as a control channel and you will still keep tracking the system.

Good luck. :)

...not to mention, that the alternate CC(s) can be used for voice, unless they are
being used as a control channel.

Dave

wfdbackdraft

I wonder if the list on this website has all of the control channels. I remember when I had my old 800 mHz. scanner, that I had to keep locking out the control channel because it seemed to move around. Before I change it around though, I'll scan in regular mode, and write down those control channel freqs. for a few days to make sure that I have all of them.
Thanks for the help!!

Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.