About encrypted communications

Status
Not open for further replies.

themaoman

I don't know if its my new SDS 100, but I can pick up all my counties emergency radio communications, however, when is make a Favorites List of other counties around me, I can't pick up a thing using the Sentinel Database. Are all the emergency radio communications encrypted in San Francisco, Alameda, Contra Costa and Solano Counties? I receive all Marin County emergency radio communications and am just wondering if my county is going encrypted? Also, is there a list of encrypted sites listed on RadioReference site or database? How many other emergency radio communication system around my state and the country? Is the whole country on the path to encrypt all emergency radio communications? It seems unamerican to prevent the American tax payer the right to listen to it's emergency services.

Eng74

San Francisco is not encrypted. You have to be close to the City to pick them up. There is some encryption on EBRCS, Antioch PD, once again you may not be close enough to pick up one of the sites to receive the system.

Oakland_Tower

Premium Subscriber
Some Alameda County talk groups are encrypted. Check the RR data base and under "mode" for the system of interest, you will most likely see a "D" meaning digital, or "DE" meaning digital encrypted. EBRCS has an open policy for dispatch communications and the DE talk groups are mainly for detectives and task force ops, etc. There is a trend nationwide for law enforcement comms to go encrypted, but not fire/rescue/ems. If you are not receiving a digital system in the Bay Area it is more likely because you are not receiving the control channel, which may be difficult from your location in Novato.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Depending on your exact location, you might need an outdoor antenna to pick stuff up outside your immediate area. Think of it this way; the antenna on your receiver should be able to "see" the transmitting antenna.

themaoman

Some Alameda County talk groups are encrypted. Check the RR data base and under "mode" for the system of interest, you will most likely see a "D" meaning digital, or "DE" meaning digital encrypted. EBRCS has an open policy for dispatch communications and the DE talk groups are mainly for detectives and task force ops, etc. There is a trend nationwide for law enforcement comms to go encrypted, but not fire/rescue/ems. If you are not receiving a digital system in the Bay Area it is more likely because you are not receiving the control channel, which may be difficult from your location in Novato.
I have an outdoor antenna, but I think I'm just too far away to pick up any transmissions, except in Marin, where every PD talkgroups are receivable, even the units come in clear. I suspect the Marin County Major Crimes Task Force and detectives are encrypted, use plain old cell phones for their communications or use a totally different system than MERA. Thank you for responding.

themaoman

San Francisco is not encrypted. You have to be close to the City to pick them up. There is some encryption on EBRCS, Antioch PD, once again you may not be close enough to pick up one of the sites to receive the system.
Thank You. I'll try receiving the city next time I'm at the Headlands or in the city.

themaoman

Depending on your exact location, you might need an outdoor antenna to pick stuff up outside your immediate area. Think of it this way; the antenna on your receiver should be able to "see" the transmitting antenna.
I have and outdoor antenna, but still can't pick up other counties except my own, where all PD talkgroups are active, even the units come in clear. I do suspect the task group and detectives use encrypted communications, use cell phones or have their own system Radio Reference isn't aware of.

Status
Not open for further replies.