• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

? about testing my RG-8U with PL259 ends

Status
Not open for further replies.

UnidenBC92XLT

Ok I got my Antron-99 up in the air today. I put one of my PL259 on my coax on the antenna end so I could terminate it before getting it up in the air. I got it all done and got my coax ran up through the floor. I put my PL259 end on it and I get continuity between center pen and ground. Will it show continuity with the other end hooked up to the Antron-99? I know other end is good I tested it after soldering it before I terminated it. Any help is appreciated. I even unscrewed the end in the house to make sure a ground wasnt touching the center pin and I get continuity between center pin and braid with the connector off.

LtDoc

If you are testing that continuity with both ends of the cable disconnected, then there's a short in that cable run somewhere. An Antron-99 will show a sort all by it's self, so testing a cable when attached to that antenna isn't going to tell you anything about the cable it's self. So where's that short? I have no idea, probably at one of the connectors.
- 'Doc

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
You can use an antenna analyzer, a communications service monitor with the right software/hardware, a network analyzer with the right software/hardware, or just use a plain old Watt meter between your radio and the antenna. If the Watt meter reads four Watts on output and none or almost none on reflected, then the coax/antenna can be considered good.

UnidenBC92XLT

Ok thanks. I guess I just need to get up there and unhook it from the Antron and test for continuity then hook it back up. I just don't want to fry a radio. I did check the Antenna end before hooking it up and was good. I didn't know you couldn't test the end in the house if antenna was hooked to other end. I already had the antenna up before I ran the coax in the house and put the end on it. Thanks for the help its much appreciated.

UnidenBC92XLT

I just have a AC/DC Volt ohm meeter. I don't have a watt meter. I'm new to all of this and don't know much as you can probably tell.

w2xq

Mentor
Wirelessly posted (Moto Droid Bionic: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; UPC300-2.2 Build/FRF91) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Am I missing something? Using your VOM on the ohm setting and the coax disconnected from both the antenna and the radio, connect the two VOM leads. One goes to the center pin, the other to the shell of the connector.

If the meter reads 0 ohms, there is a short. As explained earlier, the problem is probably in one of the connectors.

If the meter reads "infinite" the cable MAY be OK.

This test cannot tell you if there is continuity between the cable ends.

I understand the cable is already installed. FWIW I put connectors on both ends first and additionally test pin-to-pin and shell-to-shell continuity before running the cable.

Assuming the pin-to-shell VOM test passes, I agree with the earlier suggestion of usng an inexpensive SWR/power meter to see how the antenna and coax behave. It might be easier than puling and rerun the cable run.

HTH.

Last edited:

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
Yes, he knows that. He just did not want to disconnect the coax from his antenna that is already mounted. His antenna reads a direct short by design, so the end of his coax also reads a short. He was asking if there was any other way besides removing the coax from the antenna to check the coax.

DisasterGuy

It sounds like you are overthinking this a bit. You tested the the antenna end after terminating it and you know that a proper termination to the antenna (due to the antenna's electrical characteristics) should show continuity. The situation that you currently describe is exactly the way things should be. Unless you abused the hell out of the cable when installing it there is no reason there should be any problems.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
But, either one of the connectors on the coax could have been shorted together during installation of the connectors and would show continuity as well, so if he doesn't have a service monitor, network analyzer or a Watt meter, he needs to remove the coax from the system and test it by itself.

UnidenBC92XLT

Ok guys I climed back up there and unhooked the coax and tested the end at the antenna and the end in the house. Both were good no continuity between center pin and ground. So all is good. Thanks for the help. I guess now I know you cant test it with antenna hooked up in the future. Thanks for all the help.

MeddleMan

Too much solder to ground shield on pl259?

I personally melted too much solder to ground, which shorted to the center, where nothing separates the two. That's within the connector. Start again, not too much solder if you use it to ground to shield, and a touch on the tip of the center connector, and try to avoid the crimp connectors if you can. Not much luck for me.

n5ims

You could've connected it up to a radio and checked to see if you could receive a signal. If the connector inside was shorted, this probably would prevent most signals from being received as well. Just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.