About the Database - Is it a template?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stickair

Hi!
I wanna know how did you do to create the RadioReference Database.
In the other forum we have some problems to share the frequencies.
We wanna make one only list, and add there all our checked freq's.

I thought that database's a good idea to integrate in the other forum.
I made DialShare, an application to share and save frequencies, but some users have some troubles to hang up the file. I told the administrator to open a port and let the app autenticate automatically to the server. With that resource, we would update the frequencies easily. But that spends much more time than we have.
We may do it, but the forum has much more problems solve.

I wanna suggest to the admin the idea of make a database like that.

Does anybody know how canna do that?
Is it a template, like phpBB, that we can have it done?

Thanks n greetings.

greenthumb

Colorado DB Administrator
Database Admin
I'm not sure how much assistance you will receive on this question - there are MANY free database programs out there (MySQL for one) that will allow you to do just about anything, including what's done here. It's all in how well you can program to create a good looking, usable GUI for administrators and users - and how well you can manage a database.

I guess the more obvious question, to me, would be why you would not just submit the information on this site since it is something that is already created, not to mention works really well. No sense trying to re-invent the wheel, especially when this wheel is pretty damn round and rolls really well ;)

Stick0413

Premium Subscriber
Also read about the API release (In the Announcements & News section). It lets you use the RR database on your site.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Or if you are concentrating on just a couple of topics - say, public service and aircraft, for example - you could use the wiki to accumulate all your changes and new freqs/talkgroups. Then when you are ready, send a note to the admins to load your data en masse. There has been a couple of instances of this being done already.

The wiki is available to everyone through a free registration using your current RadioReference ID and password. 73 Mike

bezking

Hello There,

To answer the OP's question:

Lindsay Blanton, the webmaster of this site, created the database by himself. It is powered by PHP with a MySQL Database behind it.

What "Other Forum" are you talking about?

mciupa

Database Admin
What "Other Forum" are you talking about?

Hi bezking , I put on my Sherlock Holmes hat and did some investigation.:lol:

The OP is an administrator of this Spanish forum.
http://www.escanerfrecuencias.es/ and no doubt wants it to emulate the platform here.

(His username is deceiving as it leads you to believe that you are communicating with an American and no home location is given either):eek:

jon_k

As others have said Lindsay has custom coded just about everything except the forum that the site runs. Though some mods and or custom code has been added there as well.

Just learn PHP and MySQL and you'll be on your way to emulating a site like this! You could also offer $100,000 to Lindsay and maybe he would budge.

Status
Not open for further replies.