About to purchase my first real radio scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scud

Hi, I've had an old radioshack pro-82 that i got from my brother for a long time, but the lcd is kind of broken and it doesn't pick up as much as I'd like it to, I've checked policescanners.net and asked around and it seems the best scanner for my area is the uniden bct15x, I definitely want one with digital trunking and the ability to update via pc, but was wondering if there's anything I should look into before I invest/waste $230 for a scanner.

thanks

rvictor

If you really need digital trunking, then the BCT15X is not the scanner to get since it doesn't handle digital. The BCD996XT is the Uniden digital mobile scanner and the BCD396XT the digital handheld. The digital scanners have P25 in the Trunk Tracking column here:

Uniden Scanners - The RadioReference Wiki

There are, of course, GRE and Radio Shack digital scanners as well.

Since you don't indicate where you're located, I can't check the database to see if you really need digital for your area. I suggest that you do so.

Dick

Scud

well, I looked again and made a mistake, I don't actually NEED digital trunking, but it'd be a nice thing to have because I do a lot of traveling around south and central FL, and usually stay near the borders between separate counties

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
My recommendations are:
analog: PSR-300 (Radio shack sells as PRO-164)
digital: PSR-500 (Radio Shack sells as PRO-106)

I use WIN97 (www.starrsoft.com) to program my PSR-300. You'll need the USB cable from RS (20-047) or GRE. I bought my PSR-300 from ScannerMaster, who advertises here on RR. I paid $149 which included shipping and the AC power adapter. GRE service and support is faster than from RS, which is why I recommend GRE first.

sjlamb

well, I looked again and made a mistake, I don't actually NEED digital trunking, but it'd be a nice thing to have because I do a lot of traveling around south and central FL, and usually stay near the borders between separate counties

You're gonna need to reach a lot deeper than $230 for a digital scanner. Well worth the cost difference though.

K7CAR

Save $300 and go with the Uniden BCT15X. It's a complicated radio from the start, but the Uniden line has the best software support. FreeScan is a free program that works excellent to program. If you do a lot of traveling you might consider the Uniden BC346XT hand held. ($200)

I picked up a 15X about 2 months ago and last week a 346xt. I've had them running side by side and the 346xt doesn't miss a beat. Now I wish I'd gone with just the hand held. The steep learning curve I had on the 15X made the 346xt a breeze to program and operate, so once you figure out the weird ways of Uniden you should be fine. There's lots of support for both scanners, so you won't be alone.

Nasby

If you only have $230.00 to spend and you want digital, my suggestion is a used PRO-96 from Ebay or the "for sale" forums. While lacking all the bells and whistles of the newer digital trunking scanners, the PRO-96 is still an excellent digital scanner that gives great performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.