About to return/exchange this Pro 668

Status
Not open for further replies.

jetscanner

For the life of me I cannot seem to get any local Phase 1 simulcasts. I have 3 major areas around me. Houston. Fort Bend. And Brazoria.

Texas Wide Area Radio Network (TxWARN) (P25) Trunking System, Various, Texas - Scanner Frequencies

I cant get Fort Bend County Sheriff or Brazoria County Sheriff (and im in Brazoria). With a Yagi I can pull in full bars on each. 1-2 bars with a stub. Attenuation always off (attenuation on kills my signal)

Site 1-53 for FB sheriff and site 1-58 for Brazoria Sheriff.

I can get Pearland and Manvel PD on Houston Public Service Iowa Colony but thats about it.

I have re-updated the firmware, reset all configurations, etc etc etc.

Am I missing something major here?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

DJ11DLN

LSM is the bane of many consumer scanners. If the 668 isn't cutting it, returning it before the window closes might be the best choice. Contrariwise, if you miss the return window, consider converting it to WS-1080 firmware, as outlined elsewhere in this section. It woke mine right up...I was never happy with how it performed in relation to my other scanners. By comparison, it was kind of deaf. I'm finally really happy with it for the first time since buying it.

Last edited:

jetscanner

LSM is the bane of many consumer scanners. If the 668 isn't cutting it, returning it before the window closes might be the best choice. Contrariwise, if you miss the return window, consider converting it to WS-1080 firmware, as outlined elsewhere in this section. It woke mine right up...I was never happy with how it performed in relation to my other scanners. By comparison, it was kind of deaf. I'm finally really happy with it for the first time since buying it.
Thing is, its not even performing. Nothing is coming on on simulcasts. Zero. Zilch. Havent heard a peep.

Two fairly large counties and nothing.

jetscanner

I posted this in the local texas forums, but, I think you guys could help and spot a wrong settings or something since you're (maybe) familiar with the pro 668 scanner/software

See anything wrong in the screenshots? I'm just trying for brazoria sheriff and fort bend sheriff dispatch mostly.

Using:
Texas Wide Area Radio Network (TxWARN) (P25) Trunking System, Various, Texas - Scanner Frequencies

Brazoria County Simulcast Settings
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

brazoria1.png

brazoria2.png

brazoria3.png

Fort Bend County Simulcast Settings

fortbend1.png

fortbend2.png

fortbend3.png

Scanner Settings

settings.png

settingsadvanced.png

Last edited:

trp2525

Thing is, its not even performing. Nothing is coming on on simulcasts. Zero. Zilch. Havent heard a peep.

Two fairly large counties and nothing...

The possibility exists that you could have a defective unit. I would take the advice of DJ11DLN above and convert your PRO-668 into a Whistler WS1080 with the latest firmware and see if that makes any difference. If nothing else it will give you DMR receive capability that you don't have in a stock PRO-668. Follow the instructions in this thread to do the conversion: http://forums.radioreference.com/ra...ded-whistler-dmr-firmware-34.html#post2718793

Personally I would return the PRO-668 to Radio Shack for a full refund and then purchase a Whistler WS1088 in its place. First off the PRO-668 is $500 (plus applicable sales tax) at regular retail or $375 (plus applicable sales tax) when it goes on sale for 25% off. You can purchase a brand-new Whistler WS1088 (which has a full keypad that the PRO-668 does not have) from Zip Scanners for $379.99 with FREE shipping and no sales tax (https://www.zipscanners.com/whistler-ws1088-phase-2-digital-police-scanner-radio.html).

The biggest reason to go with the Whistler version of the scanner instead of the Radio Shack version is that Whistler offers factory repair service (for a flat fee of $120) after your 1-year warranty ends. There is no such factory repair service available from Radio Shack for your PRO-668 and Whistler will not repair Radio Shack branded scanners even though they manufacture them for Radio Shack. In addition Radio Shack no longer sells any scanner repair parts like they used to before their bankruptcy proceedings.

jetscanner

The possibility exists that you could have a defective unit. I would take the advice of DJ11DLN above and convert your PRO-668 into a Whistler WS1080 with the latest firmware and see if that makes any difference. If nothing else it will give you DMR receive capability that you don't have in a stock PRO-668. Follow the instructions in this thread to do the conversion: http://forums.radioreference.com/ra...ded-whistler-dmr-firmware-34.html#post2718793

Personally I would return the PRO-668 to Radio Shack for a full refund and then purchase a Whistler WS1088 in its place. First off the PRO-668 is $500 (plus applicable sales tax) at regular retail or $375 (plus applicable sales tax) when it goes on sale for 25% off. You can purchase a brand-new Whistler WS1088 (which has a full keypad that the PRO-668 does not have) from Zip Scanners for $379.99 with FREE shipping and no sales tax (https://www.zipscanners.com/whistler-ws1088-phase-2-digital-police-scanner-radio.html).

The biggest reason to go with the Whistler version of the scanner instead of the Radio Shack version is that Whistler offers factory repair service (for a flat fee of $120) after your 1-year warranty ends. There is no such factory repair service available from Radio Shack for your PRO-668 and Whistler will not repair Radio Shack branded scanners even though they manufacture them for Radio Shack. In addition Radio Shack no longer sells any scanner repair parts like they used to before their bankruptcy proceedings.
Can the firmware be rolled back?

This was purchased on ebay but there is a refund/exchange policy available.

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
Pro688 misery

Pro668- Looks to me like none of your playlists are enabled. The "default" is checked .. means that's the default playlist. The lists should have all those boxes checked if you want to hear what's in them. The last next to last photo "General configuration settings" shows no playlists are enabled. Click em on under "Enabled" then upload to the scanner. Also AGC, ABst can be on. It's not going to hurt things

Last edited by a moderator:

jetscanner

Pro668- Looks to me like none of your playlists are enabled. The "default" is checked .. means that's the default playlist. The lists should have all those boxes checked if you want to hear what's in them. The last next to last photo "General configuration settings" shows no playlists are enabled. Click em on under "Enabled" then upload to the scanner. Also AGC, ABst can be on. It's not going to hurt things
I enable them on the scanner.

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
Meh, it was worth a try. That's the only glaring thing that looks wrong from what I see in the photos provided.

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
Only other thing is it shows you're in V-scanner folder #10 - .010 Instead of CDAT or #1 V-scanner folder which is CDAT vs 001
Did you put all this in the tenth V-scanner position just to test it or something? You switch V-scanner folders up in FILE/Open V-Scanner folders in the menu. Could be the Simulcast thing as others have said. I saw others with problems down in Texas with those same sites/systems. You mentioned you always turn attenuation off. Have you tried putting it ON for the trouble site only? That's what I do for my Cook County site which is so strong with LSM that attenuation of that SITE only on the IScan software under SITES* and up in Trunked Systems (attenuate per site" allows me to hear everything. I use a Yagi too. I'm going to bed, can't see straight anymore, hope you get it going. WE discussed the "new" Pro668 and this same issue back here -------->

http://forums.radioreference.com/ar...o-668-not-receiving-rwc-much.html#post2360940

DJ11DLN

Can the firmware be rolled back?

This was purchased on ebay but there is a refund/exchange policy available.

It can be rolled back, just use iScan and do a standard firmware update. That will reload the RS FW. Then update the DSP (for the DMR part of the mod to work, you have to download E-Z Scan from Whistler and use it to load the 1088 DSP as well) and your 668 will be back to where it is now. Shouldn't be any problems doing it...these scanners are the next thing to impossible to brick.

Other than suggesting that you turn Digital AGC on -- my system works better with it on, but yours may not -- I'm all fresh out of suggestions. If it doesn't start talking with one or the other of those changes, or both, you may indeed have a dud.

bharvey2

Looking at the Enabled Playlists, I see that Playlist one contains 1-200 (All the other playlists ?) When I first purchased my PRO668 and downloaded my zip code, there were so many frequencies and system enabled that it spent all its time scanning and never seemed to land on an active frequency. Maybe you're experiencing the same problem. Try entering just a few known active frequencies in a new playlist and enabling that playlist only. If it does, add frequencies and systems slowly.

As was mentioned earlier, if you get it to work, do consider switching over to the Whistler firmware. did so a few weeks ago to be able to receive DMR and couldn't be happier. Since doing so, not only can I receive DMR but the P25 systems sound better to me too.

trp2525

...This was purchased on ebay but there is a refund/exchange policy available...

That's good to know that you can get your money back through eBay if you determine that your PRO-668 does not meet your needs or turns out to be defective.

If you are looking to save some money by buying used (on eBay, Craigslist, local pawn shop, etc.) it would be a good idea to give preference to buy the Whistler brand (if available) as opposed to the Radio Shack brand. Even if a second-hand Whistler unit turns out to be a dud and you can't get your money back from the seller, at least you could send it to Whistler and have it repaired to factory specs for a $120 flat fee. Unfortunately that option would not exist with a Radio Shack brand scanner.

jetscanner

Breaking-News.jpg

Took it with me for a little drive (2-4 miles) and got short bursts of talking with the (T) Trunk icon. SO, that answers it. SIGNAL.

Good news and bad news.
Good because my scanner isnt broken.
Bad, because it means my home is possibly in a horrible location.

-At home, when connected to the Yagi, its silent, but gets FULL bars, but NO "T". Whats up with that!?
-On the regular factory antenna, silent, and it struggles to get 1 bar. (no T/Trunking signal on display)
-On this old scanner whip antenna I have, its silent, and it struggles at 2-3 bars. (no T/Trunking signal on display)

I've danced around the yard a bit, no real luck yet.

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
About to exchange Pro668

What are Brazoria Wildcard? Fort Bend Wildcard? Those are systems in Texas you imported from the RRef database? Those don't look right.
A "wildcard" is created in the talkgroups under the talkgroup details tab for a particular SITE. They don't go up in the SYSTEMS area. Then you access the wildcards* manually by scrolling "browse objects" in each playlist you created for a Trunked site. I'd delete anything up there in your SYSTEMS like that and then try scanning. It says you have 12 systems being scanned and a few don't look right to me. all that affects "T"

jetscanner

What are Brazoria Wildcard? Fort Bend Wildcard? Those are systems in Texas you imported from the RRef database? Those don't look right.
A "wildcard" is created in the talkgroups under the talkgroup details tab for a particular SITE. They don't go up in the SYSTEMS area. Then you access the wildcards* manually by scrolling "browse objects" in each playlist you created for a Trunked site. I'd delete anything up there in your SYSTEMS like that and then try scanning. It says you have 12 systems being scanned and a few don't look right to me.
lol thats just the title of the "system". I have a wildcard TG setup in it

I just set everything up like that so id know what im looking at in a glance

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
Oh. Anything up in that SYSTEMS tray is scanned unless locked out. So I was thinking that might have some effect or conflict with the other 10 SYSTEMS

jetscanner

Oh. Anything up in that SYSTEMS tray is scanned unless locked out. So I was thinking that might have some effect or conflict with the other 10 SYSTEMS
Each of those systems of mine has its own playlist. From what ive learned, the pro 668 will only play the site(s) designated for each playlist.

Basically with my setup, each playlist has ONE site and whatever talkgroups.
I play only one playlist at a time for diagnostic reasons (site testing).

Status
Not open for further replies.