About to return/exchange this Pro 668

Status
Not open for further replies.

trp2525

...Took it with me for a little drive (2-4 miles) and got short bursts of talking with the (T) Trunk icon. SO, that answers it. SIGNAL...

For a better experimental test I would take your scanner to an area well within the service area of the system that you are trying to monitor and see how it performs. Better yet get in close proximity to one of the known system towers and see how it does there. This will let you know if your current programming is working correctly (or not).

I have found that in some of the multi-site simulcast systems that they sometimes use directional antennas to keep the signal somewhat confined/concentrated to the needed service area. If you are trying to monitor that signal from outside that service area you could be on the back side of the transmitting antenna making reception and digital decode difficult. Unfortunately the system engineers don't usually design a radio system so that scanner listeners can easily monitor it from outside the intended service area.

jetscanner

For a better experimental test I would take your scanner to an area well within the service area of the system that you are trying to monitor and see how it performs. Better yet get in close proximity to one of the known system towers and see how it does there. This will let you know if your current programming is working correctly (or not).

I have found that in some of the multi-site simulcast systems that they sometimes use directional antennas to keep the signal somewhat confined/concentrated to the needed service area. If you are trying to monitor that signal from outside that service area you could be on the back side of the transmitting antenna making reception and digital decode difficult. Unfortunately the system engineers don't usually design a radio system so that scanner listeners can easily monitor it from outside the intended service area.
I may do that tonight and take a little drive to the county tower.

The strange thing time is im in brazoria county. My logic is, if I cant get a signal how can the local sheriff. Ofcourse, from my research their radios are much better AND tuned to the system.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

scosgt

Sometimes one of the internal soldered connections on the BNC connector is not connected.

w5rah

I have a 668 and also listen to the TxWARN system as well. I had many of the same issues you are having until i did a few tweaks to the scanner. I ended up putting a better antenna on it, as the stock factory antenna left some to be desired. Also I ended up adjusting the threshold levels for each site. I adjusted the low to 65, if I recall correctly, and afterwards the scanner came to life. The Whistler/PRS-800/PRO668 scanners have some good features and can be easy to set up (sometimes), but may need a bit of tweaking to get the best performance out of them.

jetscanner

I have a 668 and also listen to the TxWARN system as well. I had many of the same issues you are having until i did a few tweaks to the scanner. I ended up putting a better antenna on it, as the stock factory antenna left some to be desired. Also I ended up adjusting the threshold levels for each site. I adjusted the low to 65, if I recall correctly, and afterwards the scanner came to life. The Whistler/PRS-800/PRO668 scanners have some good features and can be easy to set up (sometimes), but may need a bit of tweaking to get the best performance out of them.
What part of town are you in?

w5rah

I'm out in the Cypress area. I usually listen to the Northwest Simulcast.

jetscanner

The rabbit hole gets deeper.

With the correct site active and the talkgroups set, I took the 15 mile drive to the site area.

The signal was up and down the entire way. Full bars for a second, then zero. The "T" briefly came and went. It was as if I wasnt near the site at all. My signal 15 miles away isnt much worse.

Not a single transmission was received. (Note: I have received a transmission before just a few miles from my house, so the site and TG does exist).

Very strange. RR shows the site has a 30 mile radius and I was within atleast 4 miles. This is also in the sticks of coastal texas. All flat.

Im baffled again.

Radioshack 800mhz antenna is on the way, we'll see if it helps

trp2525

The rabbit hole gets deeper...
Not a single transmission was received...
Very strange...
Im baffled again...

You stated earlier in this thread that you bought your PRO-668 on eBay. Perhaps the person who sold it to you was having similar problems with the scanner and that's why they were selling it on eBay. Was it advertised as "Used" or "New" on eBay?

I have been very satisfied purchasing on eBay most of the time but I had a problem a few years ago when I purchased a handheld scanner that was being advertised as "brand-new in-the-box." I purchased it and when I received the scanner I found out that it was used with obvious signs of wear and tear and the unit didn't even work due to previous battery leakage that had gotten inside the radio circuitry. I was lucky that the seller fully refunded my purchase and shipping charges without a hassle. YMMV

jetscanner

You stated earlier in this thread that you bought your PRO-668 on eBay. Perhaps the person who sold it to you was having similar problems with the scanner and that's why they were selling it on eBay. Was it advertised as "Used" or "New" on eBay?

I have been very satisfied purchasing on eBay most of the time but I had a problem a few years ago when I purchased a handheld scanner that was being advertised as "brand-new in-the-box." I purchased it and when I received the scanner I found out that it was used with obvious signs of wear and tear and the unit didn't even work due to previous battery leakage that had gotten inside the radio circuitry. I was lucky that the seller fully refunded my purchase and shipping charges without a hassle. YMMV
The seller seems to sell a bunch of them. They have really good feedback and a return policy. They were display models, which doesnt bother me too much since there is a return policy.

Unfortunately, since we're dealing with radio and a learning curve, it might be a challenge convincing them something could be wrong. Lots of variables could be the culprit.

And im still not sure if something is wrong. I wont know until i get an identical radio next to it that isnt doing the same thing.

Frustrating.

I'm waiting for a response to see if a return/exchange is possible.

jetscanner

I'm out in the Cypress area. I usually listen to the Northwest Simulcast.
If you ever head down to the Pearland/288 area, bring your pro 668 and let me know if you can get on the brazoria simulcast and hear the brazoria co sheriff!

trp2525

...it might be a challenge convincing them something could be wrong...

Frustrating...

I'm waiting for a response to see if a return/exchange is possible.

If you can't get your money back from the seller and if you paid for it with a credit card, you can call your credit card issuer and put in a dispute/charge-back for the scanner in question. They will do an investigation and if they decide in your favor they will take the charge off of your credit card bill and take the funds back from the seller. This tactic should only be used as a last resort if the seller refuses to work with you.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread there is no factory repair service for Radio Shack scanners and Whistler will not repair Radio Shack scanners even though they manufacture them. That being said if you determine that your PRO-668 is defective and needs repair requiring proprietary repair parts that are unavailable, you will essentially be stuck with a non-working unit. FWIW

Last edited:

CycleSycho

If you can't get your money back from the seller and if you paid for it with a credit card, you can call your credit card issuer and put in a dispute/charge-back for the scanner in question. They will do an investigation and if they decide in your favor they will take the charge off of your credit card bill and take the funds back from the seller. This tactic should only be used as a last resort if the seller refuses to work with you.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread there is no factory repair service for Radio Shack scanners and Whistler will not repair Radio Shack scanners even though they manufacture them. That being said if you determine that your PRO-668 is defective and needs repair requiring proprietary repair parts that are unavailable, you will essentially be stuck with a non-working unit. FWIW

:wink: Just a cautionary note, there are a few other 'pre-agreed' steps you must take when dealing with an Ebay auction. Since the auction is not mentioned here I add these notes as a caution to the buyer involved. You have to (if it was available) open a case for the Ebay money back guarantee IF the scanner is not working as it should (significantly not as described, since changed to something like that). A sellers description cannot override the Ebay money back guarantee regardless of what a seller puts in that description. Then when a case is opened, Ebay asks you to negotiate with the seller first. If that breaks down, Ebay will arbitrate. If after all these 'pre-agreed' (by acceptance of the Ebay user agreement) steps fail, your last resort can be a challenge through your CC (but remember this step MIGHT end your Ebay/PayPal? account). Ebay and your choice of payment methods have gone through a litany of changes, so be aware and take the right steps to settle the issue, or you may have your account(s) banned through the venue and lose the case for not following the rules you agreed too. :wink:

jetscanner

The seller responded and doesnt mind a return/exchange as long as its in original condition. I didnt request one yet, I just wanted to be sure the option was on the table.

I ran a number of tests today that gave me some answers. So it doesnt look like ill be returning/exchanging it, for now anyway. Ill post those up later.

Status
Not open for further replies.