abq base

Status
Not open for further replies.

spicaroo

hey all,
I was visiting socorro and hear abq base on call 9, 462.950. Ambulances call in request med channel for socorro hospital. Where are they base and are they medical control for how far of an area?

SCPD

QRT
When I lived in New Mexico in the late 70's and early 80's and was an EMT, there was base station in Santa Fe that would occasionaly answer us when we could not get through to the Socorro Hospital. At the time we were assigned Med 5 all the time to talk with this hospital. I was an EMT on the Magdalena Volunteer Fire Department.

I have the 1975 New Mexico plan for EMS communications in front of me and it does not mention the call or the dispatch EMS channels of 9 and 10. It also does not show the EMS network being linked via the state's rather extensive microwave system. That was a million years ago when you consider radio systems.

If EMS personnel now call in on Med 9 and are given an assignment on Med 1-8 to contact a hospital then some sort of central control, more common in other states and areas, is being used. My guess, not having been in New Mexico since I moved from there in October, 1981, is that the base station for control of the network would be in Santa Fe. I would think it would identify as "Santa Fe" as the state police, Fish and Game, and State Forestry dispatchers identified with this call.

This guess and the information I have provided are based on 25 year old observations and could very well be worthless. Maybe someone who lives there now can shed some light.

icemantim8

Premium Subscriber
Albuquerque Base

Hello all,

I was a dispatcher at "Santa Fe control" from 1986 -1990, which is what you speak of ExSmokey. At that time we dispatched for the entire state including dispatching the Lifeguard 1 helicopter from UNM.

Albuquerque base is located (to the best of my knowledge) around the downtown area of Alb. on Mountain Rd. This may be way off. While I was actively dispatching, they were located on Central Ave. just across the street from the main Presbyterian hospital in Alb. They (Alb. base) formerly used Med Ch 2 as the talk in point for ambulances in Alb and those transporting patients from other parts of NM to an Alb hospital.

Although Alb base can be heard outside the city limits of Alb, their primary purpose is to control ambulance traffic inbound to the various Alb. hospitals. All of their employees (dispatchers) are EMT's or more advanced and they work for Presbyterian who also owns the Alb ambulance fleet.

They now use Med Ch 9 to accomplish their task. The majority of their dispatching is done by CAD and not by voice although you will still hear some voice transmissions especially for out of town ambulances.

Hope this info helps.

Tim M. (icemantim8) Santa Fe

Radio_Cowboy

Albuquerque base is now ran by Albuquerque Ambulance corp.....and their home base location is on 4'th street by Montano. The Med 2 repeater is up on the Crest. Albuquerque Ambulances also have LPE-200 radios in convert-a-com's in the ambulance's, but only have Fire Control and Abq City ALARM in them....no tac talkgroups. ALARM will talk to Albuquerque Ambulance on the ALARM talkgroup, but AA is WAYYYY over deviated.....almost to the point of hurting your ears....If you read this, Albuquerque Ambulance.....FIX YOUR 800mhz BASE STATION!!!! IT SUCKS!

-RC-

zerg901

Premium Subscriber
spicaroo - when you were listening in Socorro, could you hear both the dispatcher and the ambulance on 462.95? Can Albuquerque Fire and Albuquerque Police be heard in Socorro usually? Peter sz

Radio_Cowboy

zerg901 said:
spicaroo - when you were listening in Socorro, could you hear both the dispatcher and the ambulance on 462.95? Can Albuquerque Fire and Albuquerque Police be heard in Socorro usually? Peter sz

You won't be able to listen to Albuquerque PD/FD unless you have a 800mhz Provoice capable Edacs radio....as that's the system they use. Even then, it's probably a stretch from Socorro. You "MIGHT" be able to pick up Albuquerque base on 463.025, Med 2, as they use a pretty hi profile repeater up on the Sandia Crest. Med 2 is used for out of area ambulances to contact Albuquerque Base and get a Med channel for one of the Albuquerque Hospitals. Med 2 is also used by PHI rescue helicopters (used to be Lifeguard) to keep in contact with their base as well. PHI runs rescue helicopters out of Grants, Albuquerque, and Santa Fe.

Albuquerque Ambulance uses the 462.975 Med 10 repeater for dispatch and AA med channel requests. Most dispatching is done via Alpha pagers, but when things get busy, or if clarification is needed, they will voice out on Med 10.

I have heard Albuquerque base and Santa Fe Base chatting on Med 2 before. Not sure about Socorro.

-RC-

zerg901

Premium Subscriber
Apparently there is a 462.95 base station or repeater in the Socorro area, and it is linked back to abq somehow - maybe via wire or microwave. Peter Sz

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
Radio_Cowboy said:
but AA is WAYYYY over deviated.....almost to the point of hurting your ears....If you read this, Albuquerque Ambulance.....FIX YOUR 800mhz BASE STATION!!!! IT SUCKS! -RC-

AAS does this on purpose.... To piss off AFD for forcing them to buy thoes cheap EDACS radios for all of their rigs. :D

Why they city just doesn't give AAS their own TG to dispatch on is beyond me???

Status
Not open for further replies.