ABQ/BernCo. Edacs System

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisABQ

I'm wondering if anyone has any knowledge as to why the ABQ/BernCo system's Site 2 is down. Today is now day 3 of the outage. Is this maintenance, a failure or a possible upgrade maybe to a new system?

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
I don't think any new system has even been put out officially for a bid yet. Even if it has, I seriously doubt and award has been made and it's being built.

I rolled through ABQ on Friday and experienced no reception problems.

If Site 2 is truly out, then BCSO East Area Command would be without any comms save for simplex.

ChrisABQ

Site 2 has been completely out since before Xmas. I have both systems programmed in with site numbers and there is NO calls or even bars showing for that system. I know Site 2 is county heavy and Site 3 is APD/AFD heavy. Just wondering if anyone had info on the outage.

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
That is quite curious. I've got both sites programmed as well and could swear that I was hearing traffic on the "county towers" (aka Site 2). I was hearing comms clearly when I crossed the Bernalillo/Cibola county line and I've never received any traffic from the "city towers" (Site 3) in that area.

An outage of this nature would certainly make the local news as well.

I'll be rolling through again tomorrow so I'll pay extra close attention and report what I observe.

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
I was picking up the CC from Site 2 as far west as the 124MM on I-40 and voice traffic soon after that. I stopped monitoring at about Edgewood and I was still getting a signal. As far as I can tell, the entire system is operating as it should.

Barring some programming error (I'm sure you're like me and double and triple checked it), then I've got no idea what's going on.

ChrisABQ

I'm at Eubank and Montgomery, the site 3 tower is just East of here, no problem with that. I found the faint CC on site 2 on 851.7375 and could hardly hear it, still no traffic coming through it. I have an outside discone and it's barely receiving the CC from the tower on top of Sandia. This only started 2 days prior to Xmas, unless the Sandia tower has an issue and I'm receiving faint signal from Cedro Peak (Manzano).

I am hearing the BCSO East units with no issue, strong signal on site 3. I'm a bit perplexed regarding this. I have downloaded from RR again and tried another antenna with no improvements.

Update: I just looked at the tower location map for site 2 and the Sandia tower must have an issue. The Cedro Peak tower is located on the East side of Manzano mountain (opposite side of mountain range) and would have provided excellent reception for you as you passed but bad signal for me. Thanks for helping me to identify the issue.

Last edited:

Fowler

Premium Subscriber
Mes thinks Sandia is out due to the storm. I was listening that night and got some TDI. Cedro is over a hill from me and I look directly at the back side of Sandia.

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
The tower on Sandia being out would explain a lot. Site 2 has three towers: Sandia, Cedro Peak, and Cerro Colorado out on the West Mesa. I'm surprised you didn't get at least somewhat decent reception from Cerro Colorado.

You're hearing the East units without issue since the system is simulcast. SO can use either Site, same for AFD and BCFD. APD is pretty much limited to Site 3.

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
I would suspect that you'd have a better chance of receiving from the Cerro tower. There's a lot less stuff in the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.