ABQ Metro

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
Doesn't this sound like they're actually planning on switching back to the regular dispatch channels once the testing is done? I guess we won't know for certain until it happens but it sure sounds hopeful...

kc5igh

Premium Subscriber
That's how I take it, but only time will tell.

An article appeared in the September 8 issue of the Albuquerque Journal that said "In response to questions about whether radio will be public again, Gallegos (Gilbert Gallegos, an APD spokesman) said it will be, 'in some format.' He said, however, that the publicly accessible radio might operate on a delay or be available to media only."

NMPhillieFan

An article appeared in the September 8 issue of the Albuquerque Journal that said "In response to questions about whether radio will be public again, Gallegos (Gilbert Gallegos, an APD spokesman) said it will be, 'in some format.' He said, however, that the publicly accessible radio might operate on a delay or be available to media only."
While I think that is nonsense, I could live with a delay. I still think those 6 dispatch talkgroups should just be in the clear. I think the same holds true to BCSO, Rio Rancho and any other law enforcement agency. Encrypt your investigations. While I would love to hear them, my being nosey does not entitle me to hear that sensitive traffic, but I do believe we should have the right to hear the day to day operations of our public safety officials.

MrAstroSaber

Walkie Talkie Man
I hate to say it but I told you so. APD is simply testing full time encryption for coverage and dispatch functions. If all goes well they are planning to strap all APD channels. The push came from APD officers who believe it is more about officer safety and have pushed for years to move to full time encryption. If the test is successful which I bet it is expect them to reprogram radios and consoles and move to full time encryption. As for the evil media well I expect they will get some kind of feed. Not sure why. The media should just have to file for public records of the radio recordings like anyone else. The media is one of the largest reasons departments are moving to more and more encryption. Case in point was Roswell NM. They moved to encryption because of the media mainly. Yes the scanner apps don't help as well. I never figured out why Broadcastify doesn't just add some delay to law enforcement feeds. Only makes since. Encryption kills the scanner hobby people. But their is plenty of other radio traffic to listen too.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
"were gonna go encrypted to "test" and then back clear" LOL Sounds a bit backwards testing, sounds like decisions have already been made by the time to "test" was rolled out. It sounds like the real "test" is to find out how many whackos stop showing up or criminals with scanner/feed, now that they're all moved over

" "In response to questions about whether radio will be public again, Gallegos (Gilbert Gallegos, an APD spokesman) said it will be, 'in some format.' He said, however, that the publicly accessible radio might operate on a delay or be available to media only."

What the hell does that mean? publicly accessible radio operate on a delay? Did they host an official feed before this? As far as Ive ever known, scanners do not "operate on a delay". I think they're telling you *without* actually telling you how this is gonna roll

Rad-1

Premium Subscriber
Def censorship and lack of transparency at its finest! They don’t want the public or media to hear the comms hence the time delay. Can be scrubbed if needed. So much for an expensive multi million dollar radio system if they don’t even know how to use it and switch channels. They could have saved a bunch of money and just went with a single frequency P25 repeater! What a pathetic joke!

Rad-1

Premium Subscriber
So looks like Tuesdays at 11 Abq OEM tests the tornado sirens in Abq metro. At least downtown and university stadium areas down by me. I noticed 14504-14507 came alive but all channels secure. Must also be OEM channels.

MrAstroSaber

Walkie Talkie Man
I told you APD has no intentions to switch back to clear communications for anything. As for the media I say screw them. Not sure why they need to listen anyway. Media is one of the largest reasons departments make the switch to encryption with scanners being a far 2nd. If they media wants to be able to listen then they can public records request the city and get the recordings like anyone else that wants them for that matter. I am in full support of the switch and I think you will see more and more departments follow APD and make the switch to full time encryption.

Rad-1

Premium Subscriber
The violent crime here in Abq is out of control! I guess whatever they need to do to try and make better and officers feel safer. I just think it could be done a different way without becoming the Abq Secret Police and always following the footsteps of Denver.

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
Nobody likes being called out for doing something wrong. Accountabliity is a hard pill to swallow when you aren't ready for it and it is easier to blame others and hide wrongdoing than to fix a broken culture. What is the easy route for law enforcment to take when faced with accountability? Radio Encryption. This blocks out the folks who hold them accountable. History has long taught us that trusting others to always do the right thing rarely happens. “Those who fail to learn from history are condemned to repeat it.” -Winston Churchill

MrAstroSaber

Walkie Talkie Man
No one is blocked out. You just can't listen to the traffic live. You can file to have the recordings of any radio traffic you want. Go ask for all dispatch recordings for the main channels for whatever times you want. I don't think they hiding anything. It stops the media from showing up instantly and it stops wackers from showing up who just start filming with there cell phone and last it stops the bad guys from listening on there cell phones to the live feed. Over all this move does make the very few police officers that APD has on the streets that much safer. Sure it sucks because now we can't listen to them with our scanners but there is plenty of other TG to listen to that are far more interesting. Lets face it all you hear on APD channels is another car stolen, another robbery, and no units available. Why because they don't have enough officers in the first place so the few they have are non stop call to call.

Rad-1

Premium Subscriber
They aren’t going to give you any recordings without a FOIA request or a subpoena. I bet they don’t even record all of the comms. If they do it’s only for 14 days or 30 days max. Too much storage required.

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
No one is blocked out. You just can't listen to the traffic live. You can file to have the recordings of any radio traffic you want. Go ask for all dispatch recordings for the main channels for whatever times you want. I don't think they hiding anything. It stops the media from showing up instantly and it stops wackers from showing up who just start filming with there cell phone and last it stops the bad guys from listening on there cell phones to the live feed. Over all this move does make the very few police officers that APD has on the streets that much safer. Sure it sucks because now we can't listen to them with our scanners but there is plenty of other TG to listen to that are far more interesting. Lets face it all you hear on APD channels is another car stolen, another robbery, and no units available. Why because they don't have enough officers in the first place so the few they have are non stop call to call.
you are a sysadmin I'm guessing otherwise I can see no reason to come in and start gloating on a scanner forum about how people cannot listen, with the same tired arguments and BS, Basically, we no longer wish to be transparent and can control how the narrative is set via our PIO, and the general public will not invest the time and money for FOIA requests

Last edited:

Rad-1

Premium Subscriber
You have to remember who pays these public safety agencies. Tax payer funded. Not a private company. They are all public servants including the police chief. I bet your opinion would change about the media or people filming if they forcefully drag you out of your car and put a knee to your neck til you pass out and or put you in the hospital. Hey no camera or video = no crime right! Oh and no Axiom body cam either, my battery was dead! I’m not saying APD officers are all like this, in fact I think most if not all of them are doing a really tough good job daily and are good people. But everyone has to have accountability. Especially a “Public” Safety agency that has special powers and tactical equipment not available to the general public. You shouldn’t be in this line of work if you don’t expect accountability and under constant legal scrutiny. Abuse of power is already a hot bed issue with APD. Hiding “all” comms just adds to the distrust.

MrAstroSaber

Walkie Talkie Man
By law they have to provide radio recordings if you submit a public records request. Also recordings are keep for very long time. Years. Why because audio recordings take up little to no space. Has nothing to do with transparency. Just because you can listen on a scanner make the police more transparent??? Same radio traffic as before just encryption being used to keep offers safer.

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
By law they have to provide radio recordings if you submit a public records request. Also recordings are keep for very long time. Years. Why because audio recordings take up little to no space. Has nothing to do with transparency. Just because you can listen on a scanner make the police more transparent??? Same radio traffic as before just encryption being used to keep offers safer.

Yep affiliated with the system, wasting his time coming on here defending the decision