Absolute beginner needs help choosing a handheld scanner (CR area)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bebusch

I've browsed through New User/Getting started forum and it only got me more confused. I'm looking for a handheld scanner for use mostly around the CR area for police/fire/etc, where do I start? Do I need a digital trunking scanner or is analog trunking fine? I'm trying to contact a guy about a RS Pro-106, would that be a good choice?

blue5011

What are your thoughts about the Uniden BCD396XT? It looks like it'll do what I want and I can find those used.
I would only buy a 396XT as a last resort. I have one and the batteries do not last very long.

I do have 3 BCD 996XT's and they work very well. The BCD 996XT can be programed w/ Freescan.

I would not buy a R/S or GRE scanner as the software used to program those are *confusing* to me (just my opinion). Same w/ a Uniden Home Patrol...

RHans47

You may want to hold off a bit on this purchase. Right now, Cedar Rapids is on the Linn/Johnson County P25 system which is possibly switching to encrypted (Linn County decides to encrypt scanners). Now I am unsure if this is police only or will include Fire/EMS too. Something to consider however that may affect your purchase.

mws72

Premium Subscriber
I would only buy a 396XT as a last resort. I have one and the batteries do not last very long.

I do have 3 BCD 996XT's and they work very well. The BCD 996XT can be programed w/ Freescan.

I would not buy a R/S or GRE scanner as the software used to program those are *confusing* to me (just my opinion). Same w/ a Uniden Home Patrol...

I have found that digital decoding can really eats batteries, in the opposite direction listening to one analog system or item can stretch it out.

Butel has besides the uniden software has programs for some GRE based scanners. I tried the one for the PRO-96 and seems that is was easy enough after getting use to the quirks that any scanners has.

Status
Not open for further replies.