absolute beginner - where to start?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lemz

I've tried looking on the wiki and here and can't find any pointers for an absolute beginner.

My goal is to listen in on emergency systems like police, ems and fd (in southern ontario if that makes any difference). Could somebody please point me to some articles where to start or throw in a bunch of terms i could google? I don't even know what to look for :(

thank you!

I pondered this for a few minutes. I wonder if it wouldn't be better to buy a simple conventional scanner off Ebay for $30 or something and play around with conventional frequencies to get started (the simple old school stuff). Or, would it be better to plop down $500 and buy a digital scanner, jumping in with both feet. I really don't know.

Most of us here got our start in much simpler times. It would seem intimidating to start now from scratch, with thousands for frequencies to enter now in the world of digital trunking.

But I think the local radio frequency guide (I use the southwest frequency directory around here) would be a good place to start.

See this site.

http://www.scannerstuff.com/swfd.htm

If you can find the last issue of police call get that as well. Learn the basics of radio first. Understanding the foundation of radio science is the best starting point, followed by how public safety radio systems operate (there are different types).

captclint

Mentor
I've tried looking on the wiki and here and can't find any pointers for an absolute beginner. My goal is to listen in on emergency systems like police, ems and fd (in southern ontario if that makes any difference). C
Welcome to RR. First, you will need to know what type of communication systems are being used in your area, as this will determine what type of scanner to get. Here is a list of links to various agencies in Ontario. RCMP is digital and encrypted, so you will not be able to listen to much there. Ontario Provincial Police is mostly digital, but you can get a digital scanner for them. Digital scanners are the most expensive ones today($500), so you may decide that you will not be listening to any agencies that are digital. The next level of scanners are trunking, and I think you will need one of these.
Towards the middle of the page, are all the provinces in Ontario. You can click on the ones closest to you to see what is there is monitor. Depending on the terrain, you probably will not hear much that is more than 30 miles from you.
Here are some links to scanner decisions:
Scanner decision
Scanning Q&A

You should defintiely introduce your self on the Eastern Canada Radio Discussion Forum and see if you can get advice on what you could hear from your general location. See if they feel a digital scanner is worthwhile.

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
That's a very good topic for an article or two. Anyone care to step up to the plate? There's more than enough material in the wiki now to build a beginner article around

73 Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.