Absolute beginner!

Status
Not open for further replies.

colinlyne

Hello everyone,

I have just entered the world of scanning, and at aged 65 (not daft!) I have invested in a Uniden 3500 xlt. I can turn it on, and I can turn it off. I can read the menus and, at some stage I am able to go through some frequencies. However, when I press "scan" it tells me that there is nothing to scan. Sorry to ask a silly question, but why is it saying this she the purpose of the scanner is to scan!!!?

Thanks for any help.

mancow

Database Admin
You need to assign systems and groups. The radio is unable to scan because nothing has been entered. Have you tried using any of the software programs available? If you become a premium member here you will be able to import data right from the database into the software and then transfer it to the radio. It's far easier than hand programming and you can see how things are laid out which will give you a better understanding of how the device works. I am not familiar with the 3500 but I believe this is one software product that might assist you.
Official Uniden UBC3500XLT Software UBC3500 UBC 3500 XLT Butel USB1

colinlyne

Thank you for that Mancow. You have "told" me something there. However, I would not be able to use this software as I work on a Mac. Is there anything else that is available for the Mac please?

lep

Since the UBC 3500 is a purpose made model for the UK market, there are few of them that are imported into the USA. "Nothing to scan" is a standard error message from Uniden that means just what it says, the scanner had either not been programmed at all <or> no bank/group has been selected to be scanned.
My suggestion, when all else fails, is to get the user manual and read up on this manual and then enter the frequencies that you wish to scan.

OCO

I suspect that you'll discover that Colinlyne resides in the country that the radio is marketed for. There's a clue in the original post or maybe I am daft...

lep

Thank you, yes I knew that from his original post.

Status
Not open for further replies.