AC Adapter for BCD396T

Status
Not open for further replies.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
JoeH said:
My original AC adapter that came with the 396 is dead and needs replacement. I was looking at the RS 6v AC adapter ( http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2049709&cp ) as a possible substitute for the original one. Any ideas, experience or thoughts on this adater?
I'm using a couple of those, to make using my 396 & my BR330T in alternate locations around the house easier. The slimline design also is more 'outlet friendly' than a regular wall-wart.
Get Adapt-a-plug "B".

sflmonitor

Premium Subscriber
I went ahead and purchased the slimline adapter. Working great so far. Stormchaser, what voltage is the other one putting out?

garys

Premium Subscriber
I thought that the 396 called for the "H" adapter. At least that's what I used when I bought the DC cord.

Gary

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
JoeH said:
Stormchaser, what voltage is the other one putting out?
They may have given him the 6v, 300ma adapter. Even though it's the correct 6 volts, the 396 (and for that matter, the BR330T) reacts to the low amperage output with an "illegal voltage" error message. Got the same error when I had a brain warp & plugged my 396 into the 246's adapter, which is lower curent. (The 246 runs on two batteries instead of 3.)
No damage, just did not work.

sflmonitor

Premium Subscriber
hiegtx said:
They may have given him the 6v, 300ma adapter. Even though it's the correct 6 volts, the 396 (and for that matter, the BR330T) reacts to the low amperage output with an "illegal voltage" error message.

A friend just bought the correct one (6v 800mA) and was getting the "illegal voltage" display. When connected to a meter, it read 11.45 volts! Go figure. I talked him into exchanging it for the slimline version.

slicerwizard

hiegtx said:
Even though it's the correct 6 volts, the 396 (and for that matter, the BR330T) reacts to the low amperage output with an "illegal voltage" error message.
It's not producing the correct voltage. It's an unregulated supply, hence the "Illegal Voltage" error. 396T's need a regulated supply. Some, like the 246T, don't.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
The 246 adapter that gave me an 'illegal voltage' error on the 396 was the original Uniden adapter, not a R/S or other substitute. However, I did not throw a VOM on it to see whether or not it's a regulated supply.

slicerwizard

hiegtx said:
The 246 adapter that gave me an 'illegal voltage' error on the 396 was the original Uniden adapter, not a R/S or other substitute. However, I did not throw a VOM on it to see whether or not it's a regulated supply.
It's not. The 246T doesn't need a regulated supply, so Uniden isn't going to waste money on one.

madr68

'illegal voltage'

If you get the 'illegal voltage' just get any 6v with over 800ma and you should be fine. Radioshack (the Source in Canada) has a 6v 800ma but it didn't work until i got over the 800ma then everything was fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.