R20 AC adapter for R-20?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kc5igh

Premium Subscriber
Good morning!

I bought an Icom R-20 back in 2007, but I haven't used it much because so many of the agencies I monitor have gone digital. I fired it up for the first time in years yesterday, and I've been having fun playing with it again. It's a very decent receiver for AM and analog FM traffic, and mastering the complexity of its operating system can almost be enjoyable if you're in a good mood. If you're in a bad mood, you'll be better off digging out one of your old Radio Shack scanners.

At the moment, I'm using the three-AA-battery "spacer" that came with the radio, but I'd like to find the BC-149 A/D ac adapter that Icom made for it, but which was not included in the package I bought years ago.

I therefore have two questions:

1. Can anyone out there recommend an aftermarket ac adapter that can reliably replace the BC-149 A/D? HRO doesn't have them in stock anymore, and there seem to be quite a few online sources advertising replacements, but I don't want to experiment with an adapter that might fry my R-20. I suppose I could try calling Icom America . . .

2. Does anyone know if the radio will function properly if it's powered by an ac adapter for long periods of time? The R-20's instruction manual says it "regularly charges the installed battery pack," but that doesn't mean it will not overcharge the battery pack if it's left on for long periods of time. I'm prepared to leave the AA-battery spacer in place or remove it altogether if I can let the R-20 run for hours on a good ac adapter.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

-Johnnie (KC5IGH)

ZiggyMacD02

I have had an R-20 for years and it never fails me. I have run it on the BC-149A adapter (6V) with the rechargeable battery (BP-206) installed without any issues. The rechargeable battery charges faster in the BC-156 Desktop Charger than in the radio, the adapter is 12v. These Desktop chargers are still available.

Air490

From memory (I'm at work so can't look at the power supply) it is a 6V 1Amp power supply. Any regulated 6V 1A supply should be fine.
I operated my IC-R20 for years on AC power with the battery removed. I never had any issues doing this.
Despite their age, they are still a good airband receiver!

kc5igh

Premium Subscriber
I have had an R-20 for years and it never fails me. I have run it on the BC-149A adapter (6V) with the rechargeable battery (BP-206) installed without any issues. The rechargeable battery charges faster in the BC-156 Desktop Charger than in the radio, the adapter is 12v. These Desktop chargers are still available.

Thanks, ZiggyMacD02!

kc5igh

Premium Subscriber
From memory (I'm at work so can't look at the power supply) it is a 6V 1Amp power supply. Any regulated 6V 1A supply should be fine.
I operated my IC-R20 for years on AC power with the battery removed. I never had any issues doing this.
Despite their age, they are still a good airband receiver!

Thanks, Air490!

Status
Not open for further replies.