vertical or floor-mount position.
PSR-500 User Manual" Page 30
To power the scanner using an AC adaptor, connect the plug into
the scanner!s PWR DC 9V jack. Then connect the AC adaptor to
a standard AC outlet.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Stupid Stupid Stupid

• Always connect the AC adaptor to the scanner before you connect it to AC power. When you finish, disconnect the adaptor from AC power before you disconnect it from the scanner.
I'd like to know who wrote this and what the heck they are thinking. This seems quite backwards to me, and I have never followed this approach.

Of all the things out there that can screw up modern electronics, electrical SURGE is one of them. If they're using some fancy power supply which inhibits any output voltage until the input & regulation are stable and accurate, fine. But they're not. They're using cheapo wall warts!

So you've plugged the ouput of this cheapo wall wart into your scanner. Now you plug the wall wart into the wall? The whole scenario sounds like a disaster in the making. And it doesn't matter whether or not the scanner power is off because the charging circuitry certainly isn't.

RKG

I believe the reason for this admittedly unusual admonition is to avoid an arc across the switching lever in the charging jack.

LEH

Premium Subscriber
This argument is almost as crazy as the inability of the Air Force (at least in the twenty years I was in) to decide which way was the "proper" way to ground an aircraft. I know they changed the policy at least five times while I was in.

Do you attach the ground wire to the earth ground and then connect the ground wire to the aircraft.

or

Do you connect the ground wire to the aircraft and then attach the ground wire to the earth ground.

The question is does it really matter?

I very seldom plug the adapter to the scanner and then plug it in. Most often it is plugged in already (though in recent years, I have them on a switched surge bar that is off until the scanner is plugged in and then turned on).

But the comment of RKG does have some merit.

mrova

sorry about the post

The original post was suppose to have a question and I hit the button too soon.

It never made sense to me either and I was wondering why. Nothing else electronic I have has those kinds of directions. So, does it apply only if the scanner is turned on and you're about to plug it in? That would make a little bit of sense. Does it really matter which way you do it if the scanner is off? Obviously the world hasn't come to end if you screw up these directions but I've always tried to be careful about that very thing, not knowing what actually happens if you don't do it according to the book.
Thanks for the comments, and now you actually have my questions.
SV

Status
Not open for further replies.