Eton AC Adaptor Voltage Eton Elite Executive

Status
Not open for further replies.

air-scan

The AC Adaptor that comes with the Elite Executive is rated at 6 volts DC. I measured it at 6.40 volts DC. After some time of use plugged in I retested the voltage to see if there was any change. It measured at 11.3 volts DC. I didn't notice any degradation in the radio's performance no noticeable hum. Is it normal for these AC to DC wall adaptors to increase output voltage like that?

majoco

Stirrer
It does seem strange that the output voltage has increased after using it. You say that it first measured 6.4volts - was it connected to the radio at the time or just at the end of the adaptor plug? Otherwise all I can say is that the regulator transistor has gone short circuit and the output voltage is now the full unregulated supply from the transformer. Switch mode supplies often need the load to be connected to get the correct voltage. I would hesitate before plugging that 11.3v supply back into the radio without further testing.

merlin

Sounds like the simple supply and those can often put out double the working voltage.
Check the voltage with radio connected and turned on.
Generally a full wave bridge, a diode shorts you get a sign wave biased at 6 volts.
Meter AC voltage, it should not be much over 10% of the DC voltage.
The radio should work fine on 5.5 V to 9.0 V. any more can be hard on the radio if not catastrophic.

air-scan

It does seem strange that the output voltage has increased after using it. You say that it first measured 6.4volts - was it connected to the radio at the time or just at the end of the adaptor plug? Otherwise all I can say is that the regulator transistor has gone short circuit and the output voltage is now the full unregulated supply from the transformer. Switch mode supplies often need the load to be connected to get the correct voltage. I would hesitate before plugging that 11.3v supply back into the radio without further testing.
and @merlin
I tested it not connected to the radio. I dont have any supplies to make a extension with the same connector. I rather order a good quality 6v dc adaptor. Another thing I might add is that the wall adaptor looks to be some off brand which came with the radio. Eton cutting corners. The meter I have is a Klein Tools MM300. I checked some AA rechargeable batteries to see if the meter was correct. The batteries measured between 1.3 and 1.4 volts which is normal for NiMH's that sat around a while. I checked voltage ranges 1.5, 9, and 20 felt satisfied the meter is correct.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.