AC Power vs/ Batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Radioman_911

911 Dispatch & Ham Radio guy!
Premium Subscriber
Regarding a BC346xt.. this could be a dumb question, but if you have normal AA batteries installed (Non rechargeable) and u have the AC Power plugged into it.. it will bypass the batteries right? just wanna make sure im not wasting a bunch of batteries while its plugged in at home.

JASII

Memory Capacity
AC Power With Alkaline Batteries

I think the key is to select Alkaline setting. If I understand correctly, the AC adapter will power the scanner and not attempt to charge the batteries as long as the Alkaline setting is selected.

http://info.uniden.com/twiki/bin/view/UnidenMan4/SettingUpTheHardware#Install_the_batteries

Install the batteries

BCD346XT
Your scanner can use either regular alkaline batteries or rechargeable nickel-metal hydryde (NiMH) batteries.
The batteries that came with your scanner are rechargeable NiMH.

To install the batteries,

Remove the cover from the battery compartment.
Make sure that the charge switch is set to the correct battery type:
Use the Alkaline setting for any regular or non-rechargeable battery
Use the NiMH setting for any rechargeable battery
Make sure the polarity (plus and minus) of each battery matches the diagram inside the compartment.
Replace the battery compartment cover.

MarkWestin

As long as your battery switch is in the Alkaline position the radio will not charge the batteries no matter which type in installed. If you don't want to charge your NiMh batteries in the radio, that is fine just keep the switch in the Alkaline position. That said, even though the radio isn't drawing any current from the batteries (except to show the battery voltage on the screen) all batteries will self discharge over time. It could take several years for Alkaline batteries to self discharge to the point where you would notice it, but NiMh batteries are another story. A regular NiMh cell will completely discharge itself sitting on the shelf in about three months. So called "Precharged" or "LSD" (Low Self Discharge) types such as Sanyo Eneloops can retain up to about 75% - 80% of their charge after a year on the shelf.

I wouldn't be too concerned about your batteries running down in your scanner while it is plugged in, but I would be more concerned that an Alkaline battery could leak in your radio for no apparent reason even though the scanner still works and the battery voltage level is normal. If you use Alkaline batteries in your scanner (or flashlight) you need to remove them from the device and visually check them at least once a month. If you are not going to use your scanner or other device for more than a couple of weeks, you should remove the Alkaline batteries and store them in a small plastic bag with the device.

Mark

Radioman_911

911 Dispatch & Ham Radio guy!
Premium Subscriber
So with all this in mind as long as i have the switch set to Alkaline then i shouldnt have to remove my AA batteries when i plug it in?

novascotian

What about the issue of leaving the supplied rechargeables in while the scanner is most of the time plugged in and charging ... should this be limited to a certain amount of time?

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
What about the issue of leaving the supplied rechargeables in while the scanner is most of the time plugged in and charging ... should this be limited to a certain amount of time?

Yes,I think you should not leave in rechargeables past the recharge time or if the batteries are fully charged.They might over heat or do something that will damage the scanner.

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
So with all this in mind as long as i have the switch set to Alkaline then i shouldnt have to remove my AA batteries when i plug it in?

I don't think its a good idea to leave in AA batteries if your going to plug in the scanner,even if the switch is set to Alkaline.But if you want to do it,then check the batteries often for leaks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.