AC Powered Speaker For a BCD436HP Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobFam

Are there any AC cheap powered single speakers for my BCD436HP scanner? The 32 ohm headphone jack only supplies 4 mw.

I have read that the jack will not support a mono plug as it shorts out the audio. The manual states that the output is from the L channel.

I want to get a single AC powered speaker with a 3.5 mm stereo input.

Thanks, Bob.

Last edited:

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
When you say “an AC powered speaker” I am assuming you mean an amplified speaker... but not necessarily one powered by alternating current. Uniden makes an amplified speaker which is powered by a 12 volt DC power supply. If you want to power that amplified speaker using a wall outlet (AC) you must use a DC power supply powered by AC such as an AC to DC wall wart.

BobFam

Thanks Bill. Yes I want an amplified speaker. I want it to be AC powered by it's own power internal power supply and not an external AC to DC power supply.

I see you have a Uniden amplified speaker. What model is it? How is it powered? Does it have a 3.5 mm stereo input and not mono? Do you have a BCD436HP scanner? From many of the posts here on RR, and other sites, I have read that the BCD436HP should NOT be used with a mono plug as a mono plug will short out part of the headphone speaker output. I called Uniden Tech Support today and they agreed that the BCD436HP earphone jack should not be used with a mono plug. They also do not have any AC self powered speakers. I have tried mine with a mono plug and the volume decreases. Bob.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Bill. Yes I want an amplified speaker. I want it to be AC powered by it's own power internal power supply and not an external AC to DC power supply.

I see you have a Uniden amplified speaker. What model is it? How is it powered? Does it have a 3.5 mm stereo input and not mono? Do you have a BCD436HP scanner? From many of the posts here on RR, and other sites, I have read that the BCD436HP should NOT be used with a mono plug as a mono plug will short out part of the headphone speaker output. I called Uniden Tech Support today and they agreed that the BCD436HP earphone jack should not be used with a mono plug. They also do not have any AC self powered speakers. I have tried mine with a mono plug and the volume decreases. Bob.
Another has posted the model number of Uniden’s amplified speaker but it’s 12 volt DC powered. I don’t know if anyone makes a single AC powered amplified speaker rated at the correct ohms, and AC powered. I suggest you use a wall wart and put the matching plug on the power leads coming from the speaker. There is no need to mount the power supply inside the speaker cabinet when it’s part of the plug that goes into the wall outlet.

Ubbe

The purpose of an amplifed speaker are to give increased volume to a portable receiver that has a small speaker and low power amplifier and the scanner are often used in a vehicle where the scanners audio level are not enough. So probably no one makes an AC power speaker as it can't be used in a vehicle. You have to use and AC to DC12v adapter for the amplified speakers available.

If you use the amplified speaker at home you can use any of the many PC stereo speakers that are available, some of them are powered by AC and have the transformer and 12v converter in one of the speakers.

/Ubbe

teknishun

Are there any AC cheap powered single speakers for my BCD436HP scanner? The 32 ohm headphone jack only supplies 4 mw.

I have read that the jack will not support a mono plug as it shorts out the audio. The manual states that the output is from the L channel.

I want to get a single AC powered speaker with a 3.5 mm stereo input.

Thanks, Bob.

Here is a speaker I use with my SDS-100 and it has the 3.5 mm plug so it should work with the 436HP as well. It is not an amplified speaker BUT the output clarity and volume are so much better than the speaker in the scanner. I use this speaker specifically in the car because the scanner speaker itself just does not have enough volume to be heard plainly. This speaker solves the problem - for me at least - without having to have a separate power supply and extra wires for the speaker. Just plug it into the earphone jack and you are all set.

HEY FOLKS - What do others think about this MFJ-281 speaker solution for his 436HP?

BobFam

Thanks. I just want it that way. I know I can an a ac/dc power adapter. I am trying to find one that has the power supply self contained. Bob.
I'm hoping this is a misprint:

Frequency Response: 3000Hz-5KHz
Thanks. I have decided to buy Logitech S130 computer speakers. Bob.

drdispatch

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
Premium Subscriber
Here is a speaker I use with my SDS-100 and it has the 3.5 mm plug so it should work with the 436HP as well. It is not an amplified speaker BUT the output clarity and volume are so much better than the speaker in the scanner. I use this speaker specifically in the car because the scanner speaker itself just does not have enough volume to be heard plainly. This speaker solves the problem - for me at least - without having to have a separate power supply and extra wires for the speaker. Just plug it into the earphone jack and you are all set.

HEY FOLKS - What do others think about this MFJ-281 speaker solution for his 436HP?

"frequency range of 600 to 4000Hz"

That's more like it.

hexagon_keyhole

Premium Subscriber
If you wanted to, you could use something like a rechargeable BT Speaker that has a line-in while mobile. I use a JBL Charge 2 in the car, at home I use some a pair of old computer speakers.

Ubbe

Here is a speaker I use with my SDS-100 and it has the 3.5 mm plug so it should work with the 436HP as well. It is not an amplified speaker
It doesn't work as 436 has limiting resistors in series to the earphone jack and can only be used with low power high ohm earphones. The SDS100 have a direct coupling to a seperate amplifier without any resistors and I can use a 2 ohm speaker that gives plenty of sound even at half volume. That's impossible with Unidens other portable scanners as they all have resistors in series with the earphone jack.

/Ubbe

RichardKramer

Premium Subscriber
If you are a little tech savvy, I bought stereo spkr jacks from Radio Shack and wired them internally with the jack attached to the bnc adapter with a wire tie and hot glue, drilled a small hole in the left lower side of the 436 to run the wires thru. By properly hooking up the wires, when you plug in the 3.5mm mono plug from any speaker ( I use a shoulder speaker mic while walking and a small 3" speaker in the car, gives plenty of audio) the internal spkr will mute and you won't need to be bothered by an amplified spkr, and you can use any style speaker with a mono plug. I mounted the speaker jack between the bnc and volume control to keep the wires out of the way. I have 2 436's and modded both over 4 yrs ago and they still work great. I also did both my 396XT's the same way. Even with the speaker wires running along the outside to the jack on top of the scanners, they all still fit in the leather case okay. A couple drops of hot glue keep them in place against the scanner body.

Rich -N3VMY - KAG 0096

Attachments

• 20200728_053818.jpg
    20200728_053818.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 35
  • 20200728_054531.jpg
    20200728_054531.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 35
  • 20200728_054522.jpg
    20200728_054522.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 35

BobFam

Thanks to all that have answered my thread. I have decided to get a Logitec computer speaker. I get it this AM. Bob.

captainmax1

Premium Subscriber
I'm hoping this is a misprint:

Frequency Response: 3000Hz-5KHz

I'm not sure if it's a misprint or not but these sound loud and clear with all of my Uniden Scanners. I spliced an accessory plug on the end of the power wires so that I can plug it in my vehicle. Sometimes I just use a 3.5 plug with RCA plug on other end and hook to my car stereo input. At home I have several ways to amplify the sound including powered monitors, PA System, computer speakers. I also have an 8 channel mixer where I can plug multiple scanners with a volume control for each scanner. BobFam's choice of a computer speaker should be a good choice.

BobFam

Thanks to all that have answered my thread. I have decided to get a Logitec computer speaker. I get it this AM. Bob.
I got a Logitech S120 set for $8.49 at Target. It is 4.4 w, AC powered and has a stereo 3.5 mm plug and an on/off switch with volume control.. It even has a headphone jack to use for listening with headphone or recording. Works GREAT! No hum or any other problems. Good sound too. Just what I wanted. Bob.

Attachments

• s120.jpg
    s120.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.