• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

AC to DC Power Supply?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kcoleman

I was given an amplified speaker (Radio Shack). The power cable is set up for a mobile application. Was curious about suggestions for a power supply to use in the house.

I've looked at several inexpensive wallwart types but would require me to clip the end to make my own connection and I've looked at larger supplies with connection posts like the one below.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks,
Keith

kcoleman

No Cigarette Plug

RadioDaze... No, it has two wire leads from the speaker with 1" ~ 1 1/2" bare wire. That's why I was looking at the more expensive Pyramid power supply. But I'm open to suggestions....:confused:

Thanks,
Keith

ak4fn

I was given an amplified speaker (Radio Shack). The power cable is set up for a mobile application. Was curious about suggestions for a power supply to use in the house.

I've looked at several inexpensive wallwart types but would require me to clip the end to make my own connection and I've looked at larger supplies with connection posts like the one below.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks,
Keith

I think it is an excellent idea, and you can run your scanner off it as well. You never know, you may lose some rf noise that a wallwart can cause (probably not, but you could). Since I already use a power supply for my other gear, this is how I power my scanners and I don't have to give up additional spots on my powerstrips for those gigantic wallwarts. As far as the size of the power supply if you are just running a couple scanners and amplified speakers you won't need a big one. If you plan on getting any type of transmitter (CB or Ham) now would be the time to think about that, and get a larger one.

Halfpint

Slightly NE of the People's Republic of Firestone
RadioDaze... No, it has two wire leads from the speaker with 1" ~ 1 1/2" bare wire. That's why I was looking at the more expensive Pyramid power supply. But I'm open to suggestions....:confused:

Thanks,
Keith

2 questions...

1: Is the power supply you are looking at is a `Linear', IE: A big transformer, diodes, capacitors for initial filtering, and a solid state regulator circuit. Or is a `Switching' similar to the one you have in your desktop computer?

With the first you won't have to worry too much about any `noise', RF or otherwise, being generated that might cause you problems with the powered speaker or the receiver. But, you are going to be paying the price of the weight of a big transformer to get the current you may end up having to deal with along with also having to deal with heat generated by both the transformer and the regulator circuit. (This later point becomes even more important in question #2.)

With the second power supply, while there will still be some heat to deal with it will be somewhat less but, the big `bug-a-boo' that comes with it is the generation of assorted `noise' due to how it works. IE: It first take the AC from the outlet on the wall and turns it in DC, next it runs through a circuit that chops it back up into AC again but at a *much* higher frequency than the 60Hz from the power company. It *IS NOT* a sinewave but instead is a squarewave and because of this there are all sorts of `harmonics' produced, some of which could well end up being close enough or even right on a frequency you may be interested in. Now there *are* `Switching' power supplies out there that are very quiet but, you have to *pay* for them compared to the `linear' ones!

2: How much power are you going to need? And... I am *not* just talking about right now! Some *may* argue but, *I* usually rate most `base/mobile' scanners to consume around 2A per unit, SWLing/HF receivers *I* usually rate at *at least* 2A and generally actually usually get a tad bit more generous and rate them at 3A. Powered speakers can run anywhere between as little as 1A to 1½A for the smaller ones and I have seen some that have come with as large as 3-4A power supplies. (Some of those were a bit more than just a speaker with a cheap amp installed in the same cabinet and instead also had both the Amp & some sort of `noise reduction?' circuit and, heaven only knows why, a `Sub Woofer' and associated circuitry. Personally I have generally stayed pretty much away from `powered' speakers around my home installation with the only exception being a couple GAP `Hear-It' speakers w/digital noise reduction that are used with my SWLing/HF receivers to remove anything I haven't been able to remove via what the receiver has `on board' or via the antenna `chain' via something like a TimeWave ANC4 unit. [Whoops! There is *another* thing that uses the power supply and I've got it rated at a *possible* `Belt-N-Suspenders' 2A draw.]) Remember... Design and figure for the worst case and you will end up with considerably less `gotchas' down the road.

Now you may be wondering just what this all has to do with what power supply you end up with... {GRIN!} Well... For quite a few years I had my shack pretty much powered, IE: All but a few things that got very little use *and* could be run off of either batteries or a `WallWart' whenever I did need to use them, off of an old DELCO `Linear' power supply I originally used to power the old Delco car radios when I was repairing them. This supply had enough `balls', 35A *Surge*, to handle the old mechanical `scanning' *tube* type radios of the `50s-`60s which used a monsterous solenoid to `****' the mechanism before it was let go to mechanically scan. (Talk about `Bear skins and Stone knives `Tech-no-golly'!!) However as things progressed over the years, while the Delco still is a darned good power supply `minor?' things like it using *germainium* transistors as the main devices in the regulating circuit, *Monster* capacitors, and a few other quickly getting hard to get replacements for parts I decided to get something a tad bit newer. It also helped that I found myself going from 2 or 3 scanners, 2 or 3 SWLing/HF receivers, to having 8 or 9 scanners, 4 SWLing/HF receivers and a lot of other `goodies' like the aforementioned TIMEWAVE ANC-4 `phaser', several `active' antennas, the occasional use of a couple 2-3 HH scanners, ETC.. For all this the old DELCO just wasn't quite enough.

OK, so I first tried several brands of `Linear' power supplies and while they worked fairly well they were big bulky and tended to also generate a *lot* of excess heat. They also demanded a lot from the AC supply current-wise *all the time* whether they were lightly loaded or `cranking' right at their `top end'. SWMBO used to complain about the noise of the fans if she dropped into the `shack' at a time when I had one of them heavily loaded. After a while, after visiting another `scannist's'/SWLer's shack and noticing the almost total lack of noise from fans in his `Switching' power supplies I decided that I needed to go with a `Switching' supply. It was then that I discovered that even there there were some better than others in regards to another kind of `noise'.

The first couple I tried, I discovered that they could produce another kind of `noise', *RF noise*! On top of that each of those produced their noise in different parts of the RF spectrum. Fortunately, the dealer I was then dealing with was nice enough to take back the offending devices several times until I found one that was actually quiet. I'll admit that I also under rated what I was actually demanding from them which is why I mentioned my ratings earlier. Currently I am now using a Samlex SEC-1223 25A `Switching' power supply but am considering adding another supply just for my SWLing equipment and am trying to decide between a Samlex SEC-1235SM 30A, Alinco DM-330MVT 30A, or a Jetstream JTPS30M 25A. (The last 2 have an adjustment to help eliminate/move the RF noise & also have the ability to lock in a preset voltage making the chances that someone or something might change the front panel setting to a setting one might not want since they can both go as high as 15VDC.)

I also have a power setup that uses a `switching' type supply that can also keep a set of `deep discharge' 12V batteries charged and allows switching, almost seamlessly, between the house current and the batteries should there be an `outage'. It's original useage is actually for `marine' use so that one can have `ship' or `shore' power for one's 12VDC equipment. That setup is in a `camp trailer' currently I don't recall just who made it. However, there is, somplace here on RR, a `thread' about it as at least one RRer other than myself who uses it for his home shack as a custom `UPS' which is where *I* discovered it.

Anyway... One of the other things that recommend using a `Switching' power supply over a `Linear' one is their size. The `Switching' ones are quite a bit smaller Amp per Amp-wise than the `Linear' ones. As long as one takes proper precautions for good airflow around them they can be fitted into much smaller spaces than a similar output `linear' one.

Oh, yeah... {WAN GRIN!} *If* one is interested in creating their own `custom' `UPS' the people at Mountain West have a nice little gadget that can use you power supply as a charger for a 12 battery or two and when the power decides, or someone decides to make the power, go out it will switch your shack over to the battery/batteries just like a `UPS' does for your computer. Combine a good `Switching' power supply, that, and a battery or two and you'll keep on listening even when everyone else around you is `in the dark' and the whole `lashup' can be easily hidden away almost in a desk's footwell and be tailored to fit whatever `size' your shack is and your pocketbook allows because you can get the pieces `as needed'/`as you can afford'.

BTW, any spelling errors are most like caused by the steady stream of cats I've had to deal with. {GRIMACE!} I'm going to have find whatever new hole they have discovered and try and close it. I suppose I should be happy that the, Samoyed/Golden Retriever mix, dog hasn't been able to find a hole it can get through?

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
FYI, I have one of the speakers in question and at full load the speaker will draw about 1.2 amps off your supply so some wal warts may not deliver enough current. The speaker has a 8 watt output at 8 ohms.

n9zas

RadioDaze

kcoleman

2 questions...

1: Is the power supply you are looking at is a `Linear', IE: A big transformer, diodes, capacitors for initial filtering, and a solid state regulator circuit. Or is a `Switching' similar to the one you have in your desktop computer?

I didn't give that a lot of thought when initally asking the question. But since I also have a Icom R-75, I recently read where a linear type power supply might help to eliminate some noise signals generated by the supplied switching type power supply.

2: How much power are you going to need?

At the time I wrote the OP, I was just looking for enough power for the speaker, but I do have several radios and I suppose with a larger supply you could run multiple devices as long as you don't exceed the power limits?

Thanks,
Keith

kcoleman

Even better! Try one of these:
Amazon.com: Pyramid PS3KX 3-Amp 12-Volt Power Supply
If all you are going to hook up is the speaker, it should be able to handle the current.

That seems to be just what I was looking for. But I have to admit that Halfpint has me thinking about a larger supply to run more of my eguipment. I might just wait and save a few more pennys...(okay alot more pennys:wink:) before I buy a bigger power supply.

Thanks,
Keith

Halfpint

Slightly NE of the People's Republic of Firestone
I didn't give that a lot of thought when initally asking the question. But since I also have a Icom R-75, I recently read where a linear type power supply might help to eliminate some noise signals generated by the supplied switching type power supply.

Hmmmm... A couple of my SWLing/HF radios just happen to also be IC-R75s... And interestingly my Samlex SEC-1223 25A `Switching' power supply doesn't seem to be a cause of RF noise. However, like I mentioned, I am still considering getting it a `mate', be it another Samlex or on of the others I mentioned.

At the time I wrote the OP, I was just looking for enough power for the speaker, but I do have several radios and I suppose with a larger supply you could run multiple devices as long as you don't exceed the power limits?
Yep! You *do* have to always remember the limits and not exceed them. (Actually I've always figured that what I am attempting to power doesn't exceed more than 2/3rds of the stated limits is *my* limit. So far it hasn't failed me. {VB GRIN!} Unfortunately, I am banging on 3/4s of the Samlex's limit. {YIKES!})

K

kb0nly

The Samlex is a good supply, i had that 1223 to run my FT-847 and other radios in the shack for years, never a peep out of that in the form of rf noise. Very well made supplies!

Now i use an Iota DLS-55, its rated for 55 amps continuous duty and runs the entire shack. Some day i might upgrade to a 75 and put the 55 on the workbench, its all a matter of money.

The Iota is nice and quiet, and with a IQ4 module added to it you can directly connect a deep cycle battery for backup!

kcoleman

Hmmmm... A couple of my SWLing/HF radios just happen to also be IC-R75s... And interestingly my Samlex SEC-1223 25A `Switching' power supply doesn't seem to be a cause of RF noise.

If I recall correctly about what I read; I believe the comment about the switching power supply was for the Icom supplied unit with the IC-R75 and not all switching types. Personally I've not had any noise that I thought was from the power supply on my R-75, but what do I know... I'm still kinda new to all the SWL/HF stuff :p

LtDoc

The demand for power never ends, there'll always be something else you wish you could plug in and make work. One of the smartest things I've ever done was get a huge power supply, much more current supplying capacity than I ever thought I'd need. I don't much care what the thing looks like so that wasn't a biggy. It would be 'hidden' somewhere anyway. I also didn't plan to move the thing around much, so weight wasn't a biggy either. You have to put a limit on that sort of 'reasoning', but it really does pay in the long run. The big, ugly @#$ thing has been used/abused for something like 20 years now and I wish I had gotten two of them! Oh well...
- 'Doc

Status
Not open for further replies.