Acadian Ambulance lingo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim-B

Does anyone know the meaning of the following radio terms used by Acadian Ambulance?

- what does it mean when a unit says they are "on the wall"
- what area is "albertson's" - they use this one often to refer to a specific area
-what does it mean when an air med helicopter is "ops normal"
-why do some unit numbers start with "X" what does the x mean

KC5AJP

Premium Subscriber
- On the wall in the ER because there are no available beds.
- Albertsons in Lafayette on I think Pinhook which is the geographic center of the parish. It's a posting point to wait for calls.
- ops normal means the helicopter is operating normal and they are on time/course
- x units are extra crews or units due to call volume. Followed by the number of the console they are assigned to 2-Lafayette 5-Lake Charles etc then the unit number like one, two, three, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the wall means at the hospital waiting for a bed

Albertsons is a grocery store like Walmart

Ops normal means avail for calls I believe and never herd a units start with x

Sent from my iPhone

Tim-B

So just for clarity if they are on the wall it means they have to sit there at the hospital with the patient and can't get 10-8 until the hospital takes them?

KC5AJP

Premium Subscriber
So just for clarity if they are on the wall it means they have to sit there at the hospital with the patient and can't get 10-8 until the hospital takes them?

Yes or in extreme cases I know lake Charles has extra stretchers so they can lower the pt to the floor and grab another stretcher to go run another call

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tim-B

One more question if you guys know the answer. Sometimes when the Acadian dispatcher is talking on the radio I hear this siren sounding thing go off in the background that is probably some kind of alert. What is that for? It starts at a low pitch and quickly climbs in pitch and lasts for about a second and half to two seconds.

Tim-B

What does it mean when they say they are loading one "red tag" into the ambulance? Is that a code for a certain severity of injury?

K4RMN

What does it mean when they say they are loading one "red tag" into the ambulance? Is that a code for a certain severity of injury?

Just about anywhere, red tag is a triage code, in this case the worst aside from black tag (dead). Triage colors/codes are green, yellow, red, and black, with green being minor injuries, yellow is not life-threatening, red is life-threatening / critical, and black is dead or expected to die soon and at that point the level of care becomes simply hospice / comfort.

Tim-B

Interesting, thanks. I was listening to them work at a scene with three ambulances and one helicopter. I like it when I see the helicopter pass right near my house then a minute later I hear them say, "Air Med 1, landing Lafayette General." I live near Lafayette General so I hear them fly by then call out landing at least four or five times a day. It kinda adds a coolness factor to the whole thing like when you see a trooper pull over a car right in front of you then you hear it on the radio.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Interesting, thanks. I was listening to them work at a scene with three ambulances and one helicopter. I like it when I see the helicopter pass right near my house then a minute later I hear them say, "Air Med 1, landing Lafayette General." I live near Lafayette General so I hear them fly by then call out landing at least four or five times a day. It kinda adds a coolness factor to the whole thing like when you see a trooper pull over a car right in front of you then you hear it on the radio.

I know what you mean there, as I live within a few minutes of all the major TCs etc here in INDY, and see/hear the medevac helos all day long. IU Health LifeLine, STATFlight, and the AEL flights. Non stop transfers, Trauma Flights, Aerial ICU/NICU/JICU moves etc...

Tim-B

What does it mean if a unit says they are "in the red?"

One this morning said his laptop was in the red.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Quite likely it means having issues of some kind.

Sent from my LG-K330 using Tapatalk

Para078

What does it mean if a unit says they are "in the red?"

One this morning said his laptop was in the red.

It means the computer and truck modem aren't communicating.There is a band on the screen that is usually green when connected and red when there is an issue.Sometimes it resolves on it's own. Sometimes they have to reset the modem, usually behind the passenger seat.

Tim-B

In reference to talkgroup ID 6852 which is the AASI supervisor's channel, does anyone know what they call this channel on the air or what does it say on the actual user's radio display when on this channel? I like to program my scanners with the name of the channel that they use on the air.

Status
Not open for further replies.