ACARS Decoder app for android ?

FoeHammer

Premium Subscriber
Hey I've been seeing some videos recently of people with android phones decoding acars and was looking at the app everyone appears to be using an android acars decoder app by black cat systems,..however I found thier page and it seems all the links for android acars decoder as well as android Navtex decoder are not working? Does anyone know of where I can get android acars decoder? I know it exists I have seen it working in videos but other than a few sketchy sites I don't want to risk trying I can't find it anywhere? Like what happened? Did they make it illegal or something?

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
While it is mentioned on the Black Cat website, the link, as you said is not working. It is possible Black Cat chose not to update it or comply with other new requirements, I used to have an app on the Play Store but constant new requirements made me to drop it.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Ignore the title in that link - evidently something is amiss at the website. But the link is correct

Mike

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Use the website link I gave....Mike

If you can get it to open in Play Store please post a screen shot, because it isn't working for me or others.

And according to a Play Store search Black Cat Systems only has one app on the Play Store
1717206404597.png

FoeHammer

Premium Subscriber
It's weird it's like it was scrubbed off the internet, either it no longer works on android but shouldn't most apps be backwards compatible? Or some authority banned it for some reason ?

morfis

The app was ancient and even the links predate the 'play store'.

Maybe contact Chris and see if he will make it available to you?

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
It's weird it's like it was scrubbed off the internet, either it no longer works on android but shouldn't most apps be backwards compatible? Or some authority banned it for some reason ?

Not all apps are backwards compatible, my phone just updated to Android 14 and I had two apps that needed to be updated to work, fortunately they were able to be updated.

AD8NT

Sarah Rose (Formerly KR0SIV)
Premium Subscriber
Does anyone have interest in an android app that gets it's ACARS feed from a Raspberry pi and an SDR?
I can pipe data out of acarsdec easily but it doesn't support RTL_TCP I don't think which makes running it on android difficult.

morfis

Does anyone have interest in an android app that gets it's ACARS feed from a Raspberry pi and an SDR?
I can pipe data out of acarsdec easily but it doesn't support RTL_TCP I don't think which makes running it on android difficult.
Why complicate things then?
Doesn't acarsdec have it's own web server thus it's easy enough to see the pretified output externally using a browser?

AD8NT

Premium Subscriber
Why complicate things then?
Doesn't acarsdec have it's own web server thus it's easy enough to see the pretified output externally using a browser?
It doesn't, it has a UDP sender which other applications can then handle the data from there.

AD8NT

Premium Subscriber
My bad, apologies....I was thinking of acarsdeco
No worries, I'm only recently getting into ACARS but acarsdec is the first one I used, not much experience with other variations.
I thought about an android app but I'm not sure I can handle the mapping aspect. Doing stuff with the data, sure.
Although at that point, a web app could also be made instead.
The application allows you to pipe data over UDP packets so you could easily run an application along side it to do something with the data.