ACARS on a local network

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott2553

I just discovered acars from this forum, and it's awesome! What I'd like to do, is, run acarsd on my desktop pc that has a scanner with an outdoor antenna hooked up to it, and then view the output on my laptop elsewhere in the house. Is this possible?

I'm running XP on both machines, and I'm using a wrt54g wireless router.

Also, I just want to verify, when I put in my map coordinates (I'm in Kettering, Ohio USA) do my west and east coordinates both start with a "-"

Thanks!

-Scott

Last edited:

morfis

Aircraft Communication Addressing and Reporting System

Plenty of websites with with much more information (and the specification via the ARINC website if you are bored).

eg.
http://www.acarsonline.co.uk/

lots of junk on there and it's very out of date (much of the info was culled from two earlier websites about ACARS) but it does have all the basic info you might want.

jlh

Scott2553 said:
I just discovered acars from this forum, and it's awesome! What I'd like to do, is, run acarsd on my desktop pc that has a scanner with an outdoor antenna hooked up to it, and then view the output on my laptop elsewhere in the house. Is this possible?

Also, I just want to verify, when I put in my map coordinates (I'm in Kettering, Ohio USA) do my west and east coordinates both start with a "-"

Thanks!

-Scott

scott, i've done this in linux with acarsd, i ~assume~ the win version also has the server
capability. not only can you view the output from inside your house, you can view it from anywhere in the world via a web browser. i ran an acarsd server in my basement for a while, was nice to be able to view what it was capturing from work.

yes, your west and east should begin with a hyphen

looks like the win version has server capability too:
http://www.acarsd.org/server_howto.html

Last edited:

Scott2553

Test Server

jlh said:
scott, i've done this in linux with acarsd, i ~assume~ the win version also has the server
capability. not only can you view the output from inside your house, you can view it from anywhere in the world via a web browser. i ran an acarsd server in my basement for a while, was nice to be able to view what it was capturing from work.

yes, your west and east should begin with a hyphen

looks like the win version has server capability too:
http://www.acarsd.org/server_howto.html

O.K., got the server up and running, and I can view it from my local network. However, my server shows up as "offline" on the list of available servers at http://www.acarsd.org/acarsd_servers.html

Not that important, but if someone wouldn't mind checking my server on their end, I'd appreciate it. I'll leave the server up all day today (10/5/06)

dayacars.no-ip.org

Thanks!!!

-Scott

jlh

scott, did you remember to open and redirect the port on your router?

Scott2553

Ports

jlh said:
scott, did you remember to open and redirect the port on your router?

Yes. I have both 2202 and 2203 open to the machine that acarsd is running on.

When I got a no-ip account, I couldn't really figure out what to do, but then stumbled on the option to just do a url forward. When I chose that option, I was then able to connect to the server while on the laptop (using clientNG). I'm assuming that is the option I wanted? I'm not finding much info on set ups online from users that are using the "no-ip"/acarsd combination.

Thanks!

-Scott

jlh

can't advise you on no-ip's setup, i use dnsalias.com, but the logic should be the same. as long as the domain you gave to no-ip points to your ip, you should be good on that part.

have you done the deal in acarsd to tell it to publicize your server to the world? haven't run acarsd since the spring, so i can't recall off-hand how to do it, but it should be in the docs.

jlh

scott, also if you are running a software firewall on the server pc, you will want to open the applicable ports through it.

Scott2553

jlh said:
scott, also if you are running a software firewall on the server pc, you will want to open the applicable ports through it.

I'll check that out. I thought Zone Alarm asked me for permision to run acarsd, but I can't remember if it allowed it to run as a server.

Thanks for the tips.....I'll continue to check these things out. I'd love to get this server out to the public.....It's really getting some interesting hits.

Also, I can't believe the range. When a hit comes in, if it doesn't get plotted on my map, I'll pull the flight up on FBO Web. I just got a hit on an American West plane just northwest of Pittsburgh, and I'm in Dayton. Awesome!

Thanks again!

-Scott

Scott2553

Up and running

Well, all of my router and firewall settings were o.k. The server ended up showing up midway thru the day yesterday, so I'm not sure exactly what happened. It must be running alright outside of my network because I've had 10-11 clients connected ever since.

Thanks for the help!

-Scott

W4UVV

longitude entries

Scott2553 said:

Thanks!

-Scott

Enter a "-" for the east(right) and west(left) longitude entries.

Status
Not open for further replies.