acarsd setup prob...reinstall

Status
Not open for further replies.

galenxxxx

Boy I feel kinda goofy and helpless but I need help w this. Seems I should be able to figure this out but just cant.
I recently had to replace hard drive on my computer. Had copies of critical stuff but "fun" stuff was lost.Got 'puter back up and running, and reinstalled Acarsd. I had it setup previously, logged well, good translation, and good results from Posfix. But this time I just cant get Acars setup!
It installed properly (I think) but when i try to start it I keep getting an error saying it can't detect any sound recorder. Running Vista basic 32 bit on Dell Inspiron. I changed no other hardware.
I cannot figure out whats different now from what I had before. I do not ever remember being concerned about a recorder before, but maybe age is catching up w me!
Checking control Panel under Sound, I see a recorder that says there is no microphone plugged into the jack. The sound card says its working. Drivers are up to date. What am I not getting????
Hope someone can help me.

Mark

galenxxxx

Progress made

Ok, i think i figured it out. I will post my solution here in case it may help anyone in the future.
It seems that in the process of installing Vista Service Packs to update Windows, the audio driver is overwritten and replaced with a Microsoft HD Audio driver. This worked for me to listen to audio files, but when trying to start ACARSD the program would display a crash message about there being no sound recording device on my system.
The solution came after 5 hours of wading through the mire of manual driver replacements from both Microsoft and Dell, neither of which had a direct fix.I tried to install an older version of Sigmatel HD driver (which is what I had prior to hard drive crash), but that caused me to lose ALL audio functions. I had to roll my system back to a restore point prior to installing the newer driver, but after the ACARS install. I then installed and uninstalled successively later Sigmatel drivers until I found one that worked. It is download file #R171786 on the Dell driver update pages. This is the earliest (oldest) Sigmatel HD driver I found that seems to be fully functional with ACARSD on my 'puter. This is on a Dell Inspiron E1405 running Vista 32 bit Home Basic.
Now, I just have to remember what I had to do last time actually get ACARSD decoding.
Hope this helps someone in the future!

Status
Not open for further replies.