Access to Web Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

fadetobolivia

Hi, im currently using win97 in an attempt to use the web service of radioreference. For some reason, when I click START (ie. connect), the program wait a few seconds before coming back with an error that says "A connection with the server could not be established."

Im not sure what is going on, and I cant think of anything on my end that might be causing it. All firewalls are shut off and Im conneced to the internet straight through my modem - no firewall or router.

Also I am using http://www.radioreference.com/apps/xml1.1 as the XML URL.
Any ideas?

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum.

Last edited:

fadetobolivia

I do see a list of countries when I click that. I tried saving it and using the "Read XML File" option in win97 and it said "Error parsing the XML." Or can I not do it like that?

Thanks for your help by the way.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
you probably have security software blocking win97. if you accessed the country listing from the same computer there are no connectivity issues to the service.

fadetobolivia

Hmm Im baffled then, as Ive shut down all firewalls, etc.

Unless the modem itself is blocking somehow, but I have no idea where to begin with that.

Thanks for the help.

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
Hmm Im baffled then, as Ive shut down all firewalls, etc.

Unless the modem itself is blocking somehow, but I have no idea where to begin with that.

Thanks for the help.

I'd try rebooting into safe mode with networking (keep pressing F8 after the bios screen appears, then select it from the list). When the computer comes up, try Win97 again. If it can connect in safe mode, then that means you still have something running that blocks Win97 when running normally.

Let us know if the safe mode trick works. After that, we'll move on to what processes are running in normal mode and see if we can narrow down the culprit.

-AZ

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Yes, and if you are running CA's internet security suite - that thing lately with updates has been blocking all kinds of RadioReference things, like settings cookies, logins etc... so check that app as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.