Accessibility for Blind/Visually Impaired users

ezdropper

Premium Subscriber
Are there any plans to EVER incorperate accessibility features into future or existing Uniden scanners? Talking menus and displays would be very helpful for blind and visually impaired scanner users. Since the SDS100 and SDS200 are software defined scanners you would think now you could add some kind of talking features, talking menus, etc.

Even could add a feature to have the screen light up with the alert light colors when the scanner stops on frequencies.

Please take this under consideration, Uniden, there are alot of blind and visually impaired scanner radio users out there. :)

w2lie

New York DB Admin
Database Admin
I agree. This is one of the simple feature that is included with a $35 Baofeng radio. It would be nice if Uniden could incorporate this on future hardware or even firmware upgrades.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
I hear you, not sure if Uniden would do something like that, I'm a retired newspaper man but I'm also a retired registered nurse with a degree in public health, I volunteered for the Associated Services for the Blind and Visually Impaired in Philadelphia and taught Mobility training, accessibility skills and activities of daily living.

I agree having a choice of a much larger font would be nice. As far as the color schemes for high contrast which is your most common visual aid, that actually can be done by changing the colors of the screen, you can also unclutter the screen and just use the most pertinent information that you need, all in capitals of course.

Again expecting anything like that out of Uniden is probably unrealistic, they have just now in recent history made significant firmware updates that were meaningful and long, long overdue.

I don't know where accessibility for the visually impaired would be in the queue for future firmware updates but, you can always write a letter to the man at the top.😉

W9WSS

Retired LEO
Premium Subscriber
I have an SDS200, 536, and 436. They can be programmed to blank the screen during idle time, and when a signal is received, the display will light up as long as the signal is present, may pause a few seconds, and then go blank. I found out, unfortunately, that it reverts to screen all the time, at intervals sometimes a day, other times a few days.

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
I'm sure ProScan could be a challange for the visually impared...

But this is my SDS200's display in Full Screen Mode...
This is on a 27in monitor...

Disp2.jpg

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
PSX_20210419_150835.jpg
20201211_203645.jpg
What I find is helpful, I have one color scheme for conventional objects, and a separate color scheme for systems.

I'm familiar with everything I monitor and I find a lot of the clutter and information to be immaterial to me so I keep it as simple as possible, highlighting what it is I'm actually monitoring.

Much easier for me at a quick glance and the contrast of the two color schemes between conventional objects and systems, is helpful.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
My point was that ProScan can show the scanners display Full Screen on your computer monitor...
Absolutely and the bigger, the better, the best tool for most of the common impairments like vitreous hemorging, retinopathy, reduced field of vision and glaucoma is a large magnifying glass, the bigger the better.😉

ezdropper

Premium Subscriber
Agreed, Proscan running in full screen mode on a large TV is excellent, and so are the customizable screens and colors on the newer SDS100/200 scanners. I was just thowing the idea out there for some visually impaired friends of mine that have been using scanner for years, and have always wished that the menus in the scanners would speak the items out loud, seeing as how several radio manufacturers nowaways have added this option.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Agreed, Proscan running in full screen mode on a large TV is excellent, and so are the customizable screens and colors on the newer SDS100/200 scanners. I was just thowing the idea out there for some visually impaired friends of mine that have been using scanner for years, and have always wished that the menus in the scanners would speak the items out loud, seeing as how several radio manufacturers nowaways have added this option.
Yes that would be the best possible option, these kinds of benefits are very common in the community of visually impaired people, it's standard issue to have software like this on computers etc.

As far as Uniden having any capability of adding anything like that to their existing line of scanners, I would think is doubtful, future development of scanners on the level of the SDS series is also arguable. Who knows?

A little known fact is that if you touch the keys of a Uniden scanner you will find a tiny little bump on number 5 key which is very helpful to orientate a visually impaired person to the keyboard.

No doubt though voice confirmation would be very helpful along with remote access on very large computer screens.

Good topic for the tavern.

ezdropper

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the replies, and the new SDS scanners and the Pro Scan software together are great for low vision people.

Just hoping Unden adds talking menus to future scanners.