Accessing ARMER frequencies in the Twin Cities

N2CBX

I am really new to the site and my question is how does one listen to specific police communications when they all seem to use ARMER in MN? I went to the database and there are 15 frequencies listed for Dakota County. I assume that these are trunked (?) and that all 15 frequencies need to be programmed into a scanner. If that is the case, how do I determine which ones are only for Dakota Co Sheriff or Mendota Heights police. When I used to monitor the police in the distant past, they used to be on VHF frequencies, then they moved to UHF frequencies, but now I don't see any specific frequencies published. If there is a tutorial to understand trunked systems or ARMER specifically, please direct me to it, thanks, Gary

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
I am really new to the site and my question is how does one listen to specific police communications when they all seem to use ARMER in MN? I went to the database and there are 15 frequencies listed for Dakota County. I assume that these are trunked (?) and that all 15 frequencies need to be programmed into a scanner. If that is the case, how do I determine which ones are only for Dakota Co Sheriff or Mendota Heights police. When I used to monitor the police in the distant past, they used to be on VHF frequencies, then they moved to UHF frequencies, but now I don't see any specific frequencies published. If there is a tutorial to understand trunked systems or ARMER specifically, please direct me to it, thanks, Gary

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
You have chosen one of the most robust, but complicated radio systems to ask about. The ARMER system is a statewide system that has numerous sites, usually one for each county. Each of those sites will have numerous frequencies.

What you will need is a scanner that is capable of decoding digital signals on a trunked system. They are costly. Given that in many of the metro counties there will be multi tower locations in a county all using the same frequencies. This is called simulcasting. All but the SDS models of scanners have difficulty dealing with simulcast systems, usually. Frequencies used would be found in the Dakota site on the link posted below.

What you would be actually looking for is the talkgroups in Dakota County

That said, research is needed as encryption is coming into play on law enforcement talkgroups.

There are several good videos on YouTube talking about the ARMER System.

See: Allied Radio Matrix for Emergency Response (ARMER) Trunking System, Various, Multi-State

Listening the communications has definitely changed from my teenage years when Minneapolis police used VHF frequencies.

wogggieee

Premium Subscriber
You'll need a scanner capable of digital trunk tracking and then you'll just program in the control channel. Alternatively you can go the SDR (software defined radio) route which is significantly cheaper but will also tie you to a computer. However you can set it up to stream to yourself on your phone or whatever other device and overcome that hurdle.

N2CBX

Thanks guys, obviously my VX-5R is not going to cut it. I'll look at getting a digital scanner.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I've listened to the ARMER system while on trips to the metro area over many years. Most every model of scanner has been used. Simulcast has gotten the best of most of them except for my SDS models. I would encourage you to consider the SDS line.

AAFC

Thanks guys, obviously my VX-5R is not going to cut it. I'll look at getting a digital scanner.
If you're only looking to monitor a certain few ARMER talk groups in your area then a Unication G4 or G5 is the way to go. If you want to "scan" multiple systems, and even non-digital frequencies such as the air band, etc.... then go with an actual "scanner".

They claim the SDS series of digital scanners work "good" with digital simulcast, but the Unication digital voice pagers are about "99.9% perfect" on simulcast. I would say 100% perfect but nothing works at 100%. The problem with the Unication Voice pager is.... they are not scanners, they are voice pagers with SOME scanning capabilities. They work great if you only want to scan ONE system at a time. And, last time I checked (probably a year ago) the Unication was actually a tad bit cheaper than an SDS scanner.

Those are really the only two options that will get you decent to excellent results with ARMER digital simulcast.

And one more thought.... WHEN the entire state eventually goes encrypted on the ARMER system, the Unication will have very good resale value. (as long as you keep in good working order) When I was shopping for a used Unication, any time one would pop up used on the various sites, it was sold immediately. I'm not sure if that is the case with an SDS scanner. Maybe? I haven't really payed much attention to the used scanner market. However, when the state does go fully encrypted, you could keep the SDS and use it for other things such as Air band, ham radio, emergency weather, FM radio, non digital public safety, etc.

Decisions, decisions....

N2CBX

Thank you all, for the suggestions and info. I started by looking at the BCD325P2 which seemed reasonably priced. Now as I look into other models suggested, they are obviously priced according to their sophistication. One very small feature that I think that I need to look at is the ability for the radio to operate from external power, such as while a charge cable is connected.

andrewjames

Thank you all, for the suggestions and info. I started by looking at the BCD325P2 which seemed reasonably priced. Now as I look into other models suggested, they are obviously priced according to their sophistication. One very small feature that I think that I need to look at is the ability for the radio to operate from external power, such as while a charge cable is connected.
Were you able to get this figured out? I too live in MH and looking for a scanner for MHPD (as well as SPPD). Thanks!

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber