Acquiring Trunk Data & Audio Dropout

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBill57

I have only had my PRO197 for about three weeks. I initially set it up using WIN500 and left most of the parameters in Default.

I am noticing an Audio dropout in most transmissions and I loose part of the conversation by the time everything gets back to normal. It took me until today to realize the Audio dropout is occurring as the scanner quickly switches to acquire Trunk Data. The audio dropout is pretty consistent with just about every transmission.

Is this normal?
Is there any way to stop acquiring Trunk Data when it is locked on a conversation?

Bill

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Bill are you using just the duckie inside a vehicle? That's among the worst possible scenarios - a better antenna is likely to help here.

Are you trying to receive the Baltimore county P25 system? We have a whole thread in the Maryland forum about this - bottom line is that consumer grade scanners just cant handle the new LSM modulation scheme all that well. You shouldn't have much trouble with the AA county system in your area...

Mike

MrBill57

Hi Mike,
Thanks for the reply.

My PRO197 is sitting towards the back of the house by a window. I was initially using the extendable antenna that came with the radio. But switched that to a 2m - 440 J-Pole I have about 30 feet in the air above the house. The J-Pole took the Anne Arundel County signal strength from 3 bars to 5.

Do you have any other idea's?
Can you point me towards the Baltimore forum conversation? Maybe something said there will triger a thought.

Bill

DickH

Hi Mike,
Thanks for the reply.

My PRO197 is sitting towards the back of the house by a window. I was initially using the extendable antenna that came with the radio. But switched that to a 2m - 440 J-Pole I have about 30 feet in the air above the house. The J-Pole took the Anne Arundel County signal strength from 3 bars to 5.

Do you have any other idea's?
Can you point me towards the Baltimore forum conversation? Maybe something said there will triger a thought.

Bill

Sounds as if PRIORITY may be on. That will interrupt every few seconds to check to see if a signal is the priority channel or weather priority.

MrBill57

Thanks for responding DickH
You had a Great suggestion and I thought you might have put your finger right on my problem.

I checked the General Settings, Priority Settings on Weather area.
Priority Enabled was not checked.
But, there was a check next to TGRPs Interrupted. I removed this check.

Next, I went through All Objects as-well-as TSYS Objects, looking under the Pri column. No filled in blocks under Pri.

I saved and uploaded the file. But, unfortunately, the Audio Dropouts still persist.

Could I be missing any other Pri area?

Bill

scanpprcn

Premium Subscriber
Bill:

The audio drop out is also a symptom of loss of decoding ability based on interference and/or low signal strength. Even though you indicate you have 5 bars this could be a lot noise. Just for fun, I'd hit the TSYS button and listen and look at the control channel. Although annoying to listen to for long periods, see what the decoding % is and if the audio from the control channel has a lot of static in it or it is clear and strong. Listen for a minute or more.

Best wishes,

Mike B.

MrBill57

Hi Mike B
Thanks for your thoughts and tests!

I pushed TSYS, then Analyze and let it run for about 5 minutes. Now, I am no expert. But, the sound seemed solid. I did not hear static and I could tell when the carrier was being briefly modulated.

After 5 minutes the resulting screen looked like;
T G S=(5 bars)
TS-000 MO 8/9 1
Ch01: 854.337500
99% SID A43F 801
CT: 105.88

Also, I don’t know if this info will help. But, as T flashes during a conversation and I have my audio dropout, the Screen line DG 856.xxxx briefly clears and will not return for at least 1 second, when the audio is restored.

Thanks again
Bill

scanpprcn

Premium Subscriber
Bill,

You mentioned the settings on the first tab and the objects, but what about the third tab "Weather Settings"? Under "Weather Priority Settings" do you have anything selected besides "Wx Priority Off". Having any frequency selection in there would cause a momentary scan over to that frequency.

I don't think it's Wx priority because of the last comment you made about scanning over to another trucked system, but it's good to check. Do you want to post your .p500 file for us to look at?

Mike B.

MrBill57

Hi Mike,
Sorry it took me so long to respond. I had signed off the computer last night just prior to your email/posting.

I double checked the Weather Tab. If you had not mentioned it, I never would have known the setting was there. Weather Priority was set to channel 1. I just turned that weather priority setting off, saved my P500 file and uploaded to the Scanner.

Let me monitor it for an hour or so. Maybe we have found it this time.

If that does not work, I have no problem at all uploading my P500 file. Maybe you will see something, that I do not know what I am look for.

I'll get back to you on tonight latest change.

Thx
Bill

jimbolie1

Premium Subscriber
Hi Mike,
Sorry it took me so long to respond. I had signed off the computer last night just prior to your email/posting.

I double checked the Weather Tab. If you had not mentioned it, I never would have known the setting was there. Weather Priority was set to channel 1. I just turned that weather priority setting off, saved my P500 file and uploaded to the Scanner.

Let me monitor it for an hour or so. Maybe we have found it this time.

If that does not work, I have no problem at all uploading my P500 file. Maybe you will see something, that I do not know what I am look for.

I'll get back to you on tonight latest change.

Thx
Bill
MR Bill...I have a Pro-106 and experienced the same thing,after a while i realized when uploading or downloading to WIN500 sometimes the software would reset the CC DUMP or DSP in the expert settings,check them every time and make sure they are set to NO.

Status
Not open for further replies.