• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Activating LED strip lights in station with CDM1250

Status
Not open for further replies.

JRSpero

Hello,

I am with the Chapel Hill Fire Dept in North Carolina and we have just switched to station alerts for dispatches at night so all 5 stations do not have to get up each call. We are using the CDM1250 with the tones in channel 2.

My question is now that we have a way of activating specific stations, I would also like to have a strip of LED's turn on in the bunk room as a night light without having to switch on the full set of lights.

Can this be done with the accessory plug on the back of the radio and some sort of relay? If so can anyone give me the information about where to start on this project.

cabletech

Is this 'new' system a general all call for each station, or do you have differant call tones at each station for a differant call, like general fire or aid call.

Doing a relay switching directly from the radio is a pain to setup, and there is the possiblity of damage to the radio.

The easier way is to get a device that is setup to do this that has a reciever with relays already buildin just to do this.

I have setup many of these (around twenty) and they work great. I fact, just installed last week another one and did both a station all, and a aid only with lights and doors on both.

You can turn on light, open main doors and do all kinds of things, to include one tone call for full station, one call for just aid (to include dorm lights and door to aid bay).

The best unit I have been installing is made by Genave Electronics out of Rosemont Mi.

Go here and look at there line, they are about $1500 by worth every penny.

genave.com They also have great support.

Need additional info on this item, email or pm me

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
Hello,

I am with the Chapel Hill Fire Dept in North Carolina and we have just switched to station alerts for dispatches at night so all 5 stations do not have to get up each call. We are using the CDM1250 with the tones in channel 2.

My question is now that we have a way of activating specific stations, I would also like to have a strip of LED's turn on in the bunk room as a night light without having to switch on the full set of lights.

Can this be done with the accessory plug on the back of the radio and some sort of relay? If so can anyone give me the information about where to start on this project.
As cabletech suggested, using the accessory pin outputs on the CDM1250 can be tricky, but it can be done. The best solution is a purpose built receiver with a dry contact set ready for you to connect up as you wish. The Genave solution is an excellent one. If you are on a tighter budget, many fire and ems agencies have had very good results using the Minitor V in a charger/amplifier. It has the dry contacts and some instructions on using them right in the manual. (I hesitate to recommend the Minitor VI because of some tech issues that have yet to be publicly resolved.

If you are really fixed on using the CDM1250, do an internet search on the keywords CDM1250 STATION ALERTING - there are a number of articles with detailed instructions and schematics out there. (I don't have the specific links, but they are easily found.)

Status
Not open for further replies.