*Active* CT. Railroad Frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Getting ready to put together a list of railroad channels to monitor here in New Haven and Fairfield counties. Looking at the some databases, there are a boat load of channels. My question is, what channels are *active* here in CT.? I know for example 160.545 is active from grand central station all the way to New Haven on metro north but thats it! There has to be other active traffic! I have done scanning search using my BCT15X scanners but havent come up with much!

Manny

ecps92

Have you looked over at SNE in the Wiki ??
Connecticut Railroad - Scan New England Wiki

Getting ready to put together a list of railroad channels to monitor here in New Haven and Fairfield counties. Looking at the some databases, there are a boat load of channels. My question is, what channels are *active* here in CT.? I know for example 160.545 is active from grand central station all the way to New Haven on metro north but thats it! There has to be other active traffic! I have done scanning search using my BCT15X scanners but havent come up with much!

Manny

darrowloucks

Amtrak trains north and east of New Haven operate on 160.92 and the Metro North/CDOT New Haven yard is on 160.95. I listen to both and they are fairly active. Shoreline East trains also use 160.92.

ecps92

Only put-in what has recently (last 2 yrs) been Confirmed.
Yes, much of the licensed info has not been used or not confirmed

The other option is to dedicate a scanner to the 160-162 band, and lock out as you find the Non RR activity.

Bill, yes I did actually! But Im trying to save time and space by not having to put in everything on the page! Railroad monitoring is a casual thing for me so I only want the active stuff.

Manny

PJH

Premium Subscriber
I updated the DB about 6 months ago from information that is known to be good. The problem in CT is that many channels (other than Amtrak) really do not have a centralized dispatcher/communications system that CSX, etc does.

Most work on the shortlines and regionals are given to the crews when theycome on duty and the most you will hear may be switching moves - if they use the radio vs hand signals.

Loco radios are 45 watts and handhelds are 5 watts. The most active in CT is, well, Amtrak. New Haven will have the most traffic with Metro North, Amtrak and Cedar Hill Yard.

P&W will have some limited traffic out east, and that's pretty much it.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Only put-in what has recently (last 2 yrs) been Confirmed.
Yes, much of the licensed info has not been used or not confirmed

The other option is to dedicate a scanner to the 160-162 band, and lock out as you find the Non RR activity.

I think I'm going to do just that. I'ts easy enough! I carry 2 commercial portable two way radios (VHF/UHF) in the car,(160 CH. HT1550 XLS,receive only mode of course) as they have the best sensitivity and selectivity in the heavy RF areas that I travel in. So, if you have ever programmed comercial Motorola stuff, you know what a labor intensive thing it can be when you have multiple zones plus all the parameters associated with each "personality". That's why I'm trying to be selectivive in what I put in.

I updated the DB about 6 months ago from information that is known to be good. The problem in CT is that many channels (other than Amtrak) really do not have a centralized dispatcher/communications system that CSX, etc does.

Most work on the shortlines and regionals are given to the crews when theycome on duty and the most you will hear may be switching moves - if they use the radio vs hand signals.

Loco radios are 45 watts and handhelds are 5 watts. The most active in CT is, well, Amtrak. New Haven will have the most traffic with Metro North, Amtrak and Cedar Hill Yard.

P&W will have some limited traffic out east, and that's pretty much it.

Interesting, I did not know that about CT railroads!

Manny

PJH

Premium Subscriber
There isn't much going on in CT compared to back in the 60's.

You'll have a better chance of hearing stuff from NY, either from the city or the Hudson Valley, depending on location.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
I have a good listening range due to the high altitude of my current residence. I do hear NYPD / FD pretty good! I'm going to study the channels a bit on a scanner and see what's what!

Many

sefrischling

Public Information Officer
This is what I listen to on my radio

160.920000 - Amtrak Road
161.295000 - Amtrak Police
160.650000 - Providence & Worcester Road
160.230000 - Essex Steam Train / Valley Railroad Road
160.695000 - Essex Steam Train / Valley Railroad Yard
160.545000 - Metro North New Haven Road
160.950000 - Metro North New Haven Yard

ecps92

Amtrak has also begun moving some of their ops to DMR (NXDN)
Confirmed on the Road Channel in RI at this time

I have a good listening range due to the high altitude of my current residence. I do hear NYPD / FD pretty good! I'm going to study the channels a bit on a scanner and see what's what!

Many

PJH

Premium Subscriber
Was this decoded with voice to verify operations?

I only ask as I have a friend that operates on that line and knows nothing about it

ecps92

The Original Source doesn't run DSD on the road and had only the Scanner in CC right at the two known Rptr sites while on the RR

Only hits were at the RR sites, while generally there is Analog Voice.
More as it develops

Was this decoded with voice to verify operations?

I only ask as I have a friend that operates on that line and knows nothing about it

cg

Premium Subscriber
Nothing in NXDN yet in a search in the Greater Hartford/Springfield area but, I'm betting that it is only a matter of time.

chris

PJH

Premium Subscriber
My guy says they have played with it since last winter, but nothing that has been switched over to it. No time frame given for a rollout, if any, at this time.

ecps92

R9 - enough to trip CC at Providence and Westerly

My guy says they have played with it since last winter, but nothing that has been switched over to it. No time frame given for a rollout, if any, at this time.

I am looking to program a GE Orion desk radio for railroad for the New Haven, I am looking to elevate my antenna about 20' off the ground. I just moved to this area and am not sure what's active. I heard from someone in the Union Station in New Haven that the Amtrak Police operate on 161.2950 Mhz? I am interested in the Metro North and Amtrak road channels.

sefrischling

Public Information Officer
Tex,

161.295000 - Amtrak Police
160.920000 - Amtrak Road
160.545000 - Metro North New Haven Road
160.950000 - Metro North New Haven Yard

PJH

Premium Subscriber
Everything known is in the database

Status
Not open for further replies.