Active Ham Frequencies Montgomery Area

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve

What are the current active Ham (2meter and 440 / repeater and simplex) frequencies for the Montgomery area? I know 146.840 and 146.920 are good and 147.180 is coming back to life. It has been awhile since I listened to the MonkeyTown area Hams. And since I may have to make a trip down that way, I figured I would program the old "talkie walkie" and give a listen. Heck might even say a few words while I am at it.
Thanks.

oldranger

Ham Frequencies

Steve,
I have made contacts this summer on 146.840 from Sylacauga.That's a pretty good haul from here with only a 1/4 wave antenna up only 30'. I haven't tried anything else.
See if you can hit the Sylacauga Repeater (146.655 tone 123.0).We can set up a sked on this forum here if you would like to.I am also going to be back on HF in a few weeks also.
73,Mike,WB4LFC

skywarner

Here are suggested frequencies

Hope you have a good trip through our area. Here are a few listings, with the first two listings being the most active where you are most likely to chat with people.

146.840 -600 no tone
that is the local chat machine, always has people on

147.555 simplex
the famous "triple nickle" chat frequency
some of the folks on here have their antennas pretty high

147.380 +600 no tone
W4KEN Santuck really good coverage into Montgomery
quite active

147.200 +600 107.2 Hz
KE4LTT in Friendship (SE Elmore County) linked to 444.450

164.67 -600 no tone
Fort Deposit linked to the 84 machine

147.18 +600 123 Hz
wide area coverage from 1300 ft high but has technical problems right now with a horrible buzz from ground loop and is therefore not used right now (as of July 18, 2008, may be fixed in 4 weeks)

146.92 -600 D-STAR

---------------------------------------------
UHF

444.450 +5 MHz 100 Hz
WD4JRB very active has Echolink

444.500 +5 MHz 100 Hz
W4AP club repeater really good coverage
not so active

444.575 +5 MHz no tone
KE4LTT in SE Elmore County - coverage towards Lake Martin

73 de N4UZZ

SCPD

QRT
What are the current active Ham (2meter and 440 / repeater and simplex) frequencies for the Montgomery area? I know 146.840 and 146.920 are good and 147.180 is coming back to life. It has been awhile since I listened to the MonkeyTown area Hams. And since I may have to make a trip down that way, I figured I would program the old "talkie walkie" and give a listen. Heck might even say a few words while I am at it.
Thanks.

HI Steve, Checkout W4AP.org has a pretty good list for you start with

SCPD

QRT
Anytime dude, its basically what skywarner told you also... when & where in Monkeytown will you be coming.. arrange a meet at Fast Food place or Mall or something perhaps

Steve

Well it will more probably September or October before I make Monkey town.
I have "goofed off" for 3 years and haven't got my retired ID card from DPS, so main destination with be the "forbidding DPS HQ" (still can't get over it being a former hospital).
So after the doc appointments are completed in the next few weeks, I will attempt to complete that task.
When I get a better idea of day and time, I will give you a shout.
Who knows might even be able to met up with you and Warren at the same time.

SCPD

QRT
OK, sounds good, maybe we can get Warren & few more together somewheres.. I am few blocks from Eastdale Mall we will wait & see

Steve

Mike, so that is where Sylacauga got off to. I haven't tried that frequency, will have to get it a shot.
I have a sneaky feeling that will my current set-up (or lack of a good one) that some readjustments will be in order. I hope when it "cools" off (if it ever does) to do some antenna work both for the scanning/ham side and the TV side (for the wonderful digital world).
I will let know Mike when I get a chance to try 655 out. Speaking HF, I have got to get busy and start studying again to step up to General class so I can start working that area.
Let it to me to the "expensive" hobbies: radios, model railroading and star gazing.
Thanks again for all the input.

Steve

Well Mike 1st try at hitting the 655 machine failed. I will try some different set-ups and see what the results are. Where is the 655 machine located? I can hit the KC4CM (145.270 - 88.5 tone) on Flagg Mountain (Coosa Co) from my location with most of my handhelds.

oldranger

Sylacauga Repeater

Mike, so that is where Sylacauga got off to. I haven't tried that frequency, will have to get it a shot.
I have a sneaky feeling that will my current set-up (or lack of a good one) that some readjustments will be in order. I hope when it "cools" off (if it ever does) to do some antenna work both for the scanning/ham side and the TV side (for the wonderful digital world).
I will let know Mike when I get a chance to try 655 out. Speaking HF, I have got to get busy and start studying again to step up to General class so I can start working that area.
Let it to me to the "expensive" hobbies: radios, model railroading and star gazing.
Thanks again for all the input.

Steve,.655 doesn't see much activity mainly me kurchunking it.It comes to life when there are tornado warnings though.There is suppose to be a net Tuesdays at 7PM but not many checking in lately.Two more repeaters in the Weogufka area not much activity on them either.145.270- PL 88.5 and 442.500+ PL 88.5.
A friend of mine put them up before the advent of cell phones.I don't know why he keeps them up.
I am just getting back in ham radio after a long absense.I have done some stargazing myself but I don't have a good glass anymore, just a couple of cheap old refracters.
Hurry up and get that General ticket.It will give you more options.

Steve

You know Mr Lee and Ms Annette! I haven't heard them ages. How are they doing? I try to keep both these repeaters in my radios. Like I said in the earlier post, I can hit both the 270 and 500 from my location here in Tallapoosa Co. If you look at a map, find Horseshoe Bend National Military Park and then draw a line about 2 miles SW and that my spot. Honestly when I do talk it is mainly on 444.525 (146.2)/KB4MDD. That machine is 2 miles E of me and I usually can make it using 1/2 watt.
If ou get a chance try 145.330 - (179.9) or 146.960 - (88.5). Those are the main 2m machines that the local Tallapoosa and Coosa Co folks use. The local net is about like your net; a few check-ups and a few show up for the monthly meeting.
Here are my e-mail addresses: tayl91@bellsouth.net and kd4lcy@bellsouth.net . If you to want send an e-mail this way. In my case, e-mails have taken the place of ham radios instead of cell phones (since I haven't done much traveling of late).

trace1

Steve, have you tried the WB4GNA Cheaha repeater at 147.090+ PL131.8, 444.750+ PL131.8?

We have the Alabama Emergency Net Wiskey that meets every Monday night at 8:00 P.M. on the 147.090 machine. You're welcome to check in if and when you can.

Also there is a D-STAR repeater on Cheaha Mountain.

Repeater Call sign: WB4GNA

145.300- C
442.425+ B

We have a net there on Thursdays at 7:30PM.
145.300- WB4GNA C.

And there is another D-STAR repeater on the Tuscaloosa Tall Tower.

Repeater Call sign: W4TTR

145.350- C
442.900+ B

Their net is every Wednesday at 8:30PM.
145.350- W4TTR C

Steve

Thanks Tracy. I try to keep the 090 machine in my radios at all times. I will try and see if I can make 444.750 from my location. I need to get off my lazy rear end and get the D-STAR module for my Icom V82 so I can start exploring the avenue. Thanks again Tracy for the reminder of the "other" options.
Now to start talking instead of e-mailing and posting.

oldranger

Sylacauga Repeater

Steve:
I am using this format to communicate with you.I am away from my computer.I am at my daughters house in Huntsvile and I can't access my email account from here.
The 655 is on Herds Gap Mountain just off of HWY 21 between Sylacauga and Sycamore.

Steve

Mike, I familiar with Herds Gap Mountain. I will keep trying different set-ups and see what happens but several bumps and humps may knock me out.
Wonder if you might know (or know of) a neighbor of mine, KE4RLL-Bayron Knight. I will let you know if 655 happens.

oldranger

Sylacauga Repeater

Hi Steve:
I have heard Mr. Knight's name before but we have never met.
I can hit the 655 from up here but have not been able to talk to any one.No one down there is monitoring the frequency.I can also hit Lee's repeater. My daughter's house is on a pretty good mountain. I am using a homemade quarter wave ground plane antenna.
I have talked to people in Birmingham and Alabaster from here.
I have also talked as far north as Kentucky from here.

DF

Status
Not open for further replies.