Active shooter at a LA Fire Station [may be 81]

Status
Not open for further replies.

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber

The shooter's home is reportedly burning now and LASO has not cleared it for fire suppression efforts.

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
The house on fire based on google search and public records is owned by an LACO FD.

LZJSR

Premium Subscriber
All I'm picking up is the "Sierra" incident and it sounds like a wildland fire. Does this fire have anything to do with this shooting and apparent structure fire?
The shooting was at Fire Station 81. The suspect allegedly/reportedly fled the scene to the location of the current house fire in Acton. That house is well involved on ABC7.com live website. The shooting scene at Fire Station 81 has no additional activity/rescue in progress, the activity on the radio is the house fire burning nearby with a body reported in a backyard swimming pool with possible gunshot wound. Firefighters being held out from house fire until the scene is secure as there is a suspect in the pool, unknown if dead or alive.

es93546

A Member Twice
Premium Subscriber
All I'm picking up is the "Sierra" incident and it sounds like a wildland fire. Does this fire have anything to do with this shooting and apparent structure fire?

The Sierra Incident was just north of Acton. It showed up on the Angeles National Forest dispatch incident log with a lat and long referenced. It was logged as an incident by the ANF as a lot of resources from the forest were sent for mutual aid. They got a handle on it quickly and all USFS resources were released in 2-3 hours. The folks in Acton heard a lot of helo traffic, what with LE ships overhead at the shooter's house, helos dropping water on the Sierra Fire and on the shooter's house as well. My sister and brother-in-law had 10 acres and a wonderful home up near "Boiling Point" on the old Sierra Highway. I'm quite familiar with both LAC Stations 81 and 80. 81 was very close. The ANF had an engine stationed there prior to the construction of the ranger station in Acton.

This is a huge tragedy and exemplifies how important having a robust mental health care system is. But, guess what gets cut nearly every time a budget has to be cut? The shooter obviously had some major mental/behavioral health issues that could have been addressed. There is such a stigma for those who admit they need help and get it, that many refuse to even think about getting help.

Eng74

I have heard of some guys and shifts not getting along, they come in and the other crew/guy leaves without words or just say everything is in the book. I have never thought something like this could have happened in the fire service. This will stick with everyone for a long time.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
I have heard of some guys and shifts not getting along, they come in and the other crew/guy leaves without words or just say everything is in the book. I have never thought something like this could have happened in the fire service. This will stick with everyone for a long time.
I wonder if someone got a raise or moved up on the job and the person caused all this got mad cause that person got passed from moving up in their job? Or something else that caused to kill another FF?

Eng74

They are saying that they had differences on how to do the job. Both were engineers. For promotions you test and interview and they make a list so it is all up to you on promoting.

es93546

A Member Twice
Premium Subscriber
They are saying that they had differences on how to do the job. Both were engineers. For promotions you test and interview and they make a list so it is all up to you on promoting.

My wife picked up some rumors that indicated a different situation. I won't spread any rumors, but people should know that they exist. I suppose there are always rumors about a situation like this and should be expected. We may never hear what the "cause" is, but it was obviously very important to the shooter. He was obviously dealing with the "cause" in an irrational manner. I put "cause" in quotes because there isn't a link between cause and effect here. Nothing justifies murder. To take a life and then your own indicates an obvious absence of rational thought. If he had gotten some counseling, two firefighters might be alive today. The shooter would have gone through some tough times and would have worked very hard. In the long run there can be solutions. They aren't always what a person desires or thinks they will be, but are often better than a person can solve on their own.

Status
Not open for further replies.