Active shooter at chardon high

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerk

Despite a 200 % increase in traffic from our average system loading for this time of day the Geauga County 800 system worked excellent, during the first two hours of the incident the system loading was one push to talk (PTT) request every 4 seconds.

There were zero system busies, every PTT went through on the first try. In post incident debriefings no user of the Geauga system reported radio coverage deficiencies.

Cool, it looks like they had enough channels to handle the loading...
From what I saw and heard, incident was handled great, in fact will probably be a textbook lesson in some police & fire academies.

jerk

This is where they should be able to shut down non-essential cell phones, or at least drop them into a lower priority tier for tower access.

Of course that would require cooperation between the cell carriers and the PS agencies to identify which phones are more essential.

I was listening to the news, one problem was "parents" calling in reporting and asking questions about the shooting, on the 911 line no less.

There was priority cell phone initiative, but that is more for wide-area disasters. (With resultant towers destroyed). You need to dial a prefix before using your cell, which gives it priority.

a388sig2

The Portage Police/Fire feed caught a little of the MARCS traffic, including Metro Life Flight, and the analog FCO's analog channel communicating with UH helos.

ONA73

I'm just curious if anyone knows of captured audio from the Life Flight TG or the Tac TG. I see no streams for them, and I'm in Eastern Cuyahoga where UHF is still in use so I've never felt the need to buy a fancy scanner when I can just use the extended receiver on my HT to hear the locals.

I'm guessing such streams aren't part of a regular scanner feed as they have limited passive listening value, but I was reminded how I have often wondered how well the comms between air and ground work on a system like MARCS. One would surmise they should work no better and nor worse than any other air-to-ground V/UHF system that exist(ed) given the layout and height of the system towers, flight altitude, and the line-of-sight nature of the band being used.

My Lake County Fire/EMS feed has MARCS and had all of the Lifeflight Traffic.

Status
Not open for further replies.