Active shooter Columbia Mall, Columbia, MD

Status
Not open for further replies.

blee1099

Active unknown gunman in Columbia Mall.

Multiple fatalities and numerous walking wounded.

Multiple police/fire/ems agencies: Howard County PD & Fire, Maryland State Police, Anne Arundel County Police & Fire, Prince Georges Police & Fire, Montgomery County Police & Fire.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Maryland Howard County Feed

Active unknown gunman in Columbia Mall.

Multiple fatalities and numerous walking wounded.

Multiple police/fire/ems agencies: Howard County PD & Fire, Maryland State Police, Anne Arundel County Police & Fire, Prince Georges Police & Fire, Montgomery County Police & Fire.

I've been monitoring this for some time today. I thought they would have already taken this lead down. I'm assuming that all shooters have been identified & apprehended. Of course, if there are other shooters suspected to be in the mall, I wonder why the feed is still active?

Thanks for the heads up.

blee1099

As the feed provider, I considered taking the feed down initially but decided that was probably not needed. The county police operate encrypted channels and many times during the incident units often switched over to those encrypted channels. Just like the NJ mall shooting months ago, there was an active scanner feed thru the entire incident.

blee1099

They seem to be still running box alarms for suspicious packages 8 hours after the incident started. I suspect they'll be running suspicious package calls for the remainder with everyone out of the mall.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Leaving Feed Up

As the feed provider, I considered taking the feed down initially but decided that was probably not needed. The county police operate encrypted channels and many times during the incident units often switched over to those encrypted channels. Just like the NJ mall shooting months ago, there was an active scanner feed thru the entire incident.

Yes, I believe I heard some encryption being transmitted during the incident. This must be a difficult decision to make depending on the unfolding of events.

Since I've not reviewed the audio recording I made on my Olympus Digital recorder, I did not hear if they isolated the shooter & knew there was only one involved. Furthermore, I don't know when the shooter took himself out.

In the event that a shooter was actively engaged inside a facility, & I was responsible for the feed, I would have taken it down despite the presence or absence of encryption. However, if I already knew the shooter was alone & deceased, I would have kept it rolling. I am not making reference to your feed, but a generic type of situation.

I would be worried that the shooter would be using the feedback, provided they had a Smart Phone, to monitor his situation. That would be a fear of mine had I had the feed up.

I suppose the decision is a case-by-case situation. With the increased frequency of occurrence of these type incidents, hopefully, the future feeds won't provide feedback to the crook.

I thought that the police should might consider doing what some prisons are doing with cell phones. In Texas, there is some type of blocking mechanism being used on prison property. I don't know how they managed to get past the FCC, but they did.

However, if cell phone blocking were engaged during an incident, it might prevent victims from getting help.

Again, I don't have a feed, so I don't know what I would have done. I did find the feed interesting despite the carnage.

Last edited:

sc800

With the advent of NG911 you don't want cellphone blocking in those incidents. You would want 911 call redirection to the command post. As you would be able to get videos and picture updates

Status
Not open for further replies.