Adams Co. VIPER Talkgroup

Status
Not open for further replies.

trainman111

Premium Subscriber
Hey Folks,

Heading up to Harrisburg this week and noticed an interop talkgroup under Adams County for VIPER. Based on the description, I assume this is a patch to the NC state VIPER system. Does anyone know why they may have interop setup for a system that is three states away?

Thanks,
Nick

trainman111

Premium Subscriber
12607eTVIPERVoice Interoperability Plan for Emergency RespondersInterop

I'm aware of what the database says, that's why I referenced it in my post. "Voice Interoperability Plan for Emergency Responders" is the name of North Carolina's statewide system. My question was asking why there would be a patch between Adams County and a NC system.

u2brent

OAMPT
I think in this case the two are not related except for the name.. (Minus the North Carolina part)
I think it's derived from this.
IDK, Could be wrong.. :unsure: Don't know if the TG is actually used or not..

u2brent

OAMPT
Took a while but I found this reference on the linked website. :geek:

VIPER: (Voice Interoperability for Public Emergency Radio)
Voice Interoperability for Public Emergency Radio is a common talk-group that is in the same position on every radio on the system in the primary zone of all agencies that can be used for all radios to talk to each other for whatever reason.

It sounds like a common interop TG unrelated to NC.

trainman111

Premium Subscriber
Ah, there it is! Thanks for that. My gut told me it probably wasn't interop for the NC system, but with the identical description in the database, I wasn't sure. I'm going to submit a DB update with Adams County's definition of VIPER so others won't be quite as confused in the future.

u2brent

OAMPT
So, you're gonna make a submission to change an officially named Adams County PA TRS TG (as Documented Above) because it's confusing to somebody from NC or VA. OK, But I don't see any conflict. It does not mention North Carolina in the description and what title would be more appropriate than the correct one.... IDK.. :rolleyes: Just figured out what it is..

trainman111

Premium Subscriber
The description in the database was NOT the same as what is officially named as an Adams County TG. Look closely, it's been the entire point of my post from the start. The database said "Voice Interoperability Plan for Emergency Responders", however, the document from Adams County VERY CLEARLY states "Voice Interoperability for Public Emergency Radio". They are not the same. The current description in the database, until just updated, was not correct.

u2brent

OAMPT
It still spells VIPER ;) but the description could be modified, still splitting a hair though.. Since it's just a common term like Tac for Tactical or Disp for Dispatch, Ops for Operations.... Why didn't they just call it countywide inter-agency interop (or shared) common (CWIAIC) or something simple... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.