Adams County Pursuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
NB Colo from 104th Westy is lead. Speeds 100mph.

Pursuit U/D: Sucessful PIT and one female suspect in custody, this started SB I-25 from Hwy-7. L/U/D

Jim<

papaelk

Westy Pursuit

Kinda funny how westy will pursue anyone. This was for criminal mistiff. now come on lets get real . Glad Thornton and Northglenn really wanted nothing to do with it.

Have to say it was interesting to watch westy flying down 92nd ave headed towards
I-25 in groups of 3 or more @ speeds of 60 plus in a posted 35 mph zone with elderly Moblie home parks in the area

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
papaelk said:
Kinda funny how westy will pursue anyone. This was for criminal mistiff. now come on lets get real . Glad Thornton and Northglenn really wanted nothing to do with it.

Have to say it was interesting to watch westy flying down 92nd ave headed towards
I-25 in groups of 3 or more @ speeds of 60 plus in a posted 35 mph zone with elderly Moblie home parks in the area

Did you also hear them say Adcom can you help when they got East of I-25 there Edacs radios were not working "right".

Jim<

papaelk

jimmnn said:
Did you also hear them say Adcom can you help when they got East of I-25 there Edacs radios were not working "right".

Jim<

Talk about trying to turn your head and look the other way all i can say is Way to Go Thornton and Nortglenn :) glad someone had their heads on straight when this was taking place :)

Thayne

Reading this brought back the words to that old song, "Hindsight's 20 20" :p

Moosemedic

So which criminals should they chase?
I take it you think NOT the one's suspected of minor crimes? Aren't they the one's with prior convictions for other crimes, also crimes we don't yet know about, and probably have done something they don't want the cops to findout about = Run?

If memory serves, the nutcase that shot up Platte Canyon High School was just released becuase he had only commited a minor crime, which he had an outstanding warrant for, on a lesser scale than "criminal mischief"

Papaelk, speeds are pretty hard to determine visually, and although I question your estimate of "60 plus" I contend that traffic on that road travels much faster than 35 on a good day.

I think it's laughable when you read of a "pursuit" on I-25 that's under triple digits. If it's taking place anywhere between Cheyenne and say .... 120th Ave, and it's NOT over 85 it's just an Emergency Vehicle Parade holding up traffic.

Spud

Time for discretionary decision making

Moosemedic said:
I take it you think NOT the one's suspected of minor crimes? Aren't they the one's with prior convictions for other crimes, also crimes we don't yet know about, and probably have done something they don't want the cops to findout about = Run? [end quote]

As always, the "totality of the circumstances" must weigh into the decision making process. (The environment, time of day or night, other traffic, weather conditions, the PC for the stop, etc.) The runner may have only gone through a stop sign, but you probably won't know about the triple homicide that they committed a few hours before or the serious crime that they were enroute to commit until you have custody. Many times the reason for running have nothing to do with the PC for the traffic stop.

I have always believed that the decision should not lie with any regulations on paper, but with the initiating individual and others within the supporting command structure.

We already have an ineffective criminal justice system but we need to maintain an effective law enforcement system.

The spud.

papaelk

Moosemedic said:
I take it you think NOT the one's suspected of minor crimes? Aren't they the one's with prior convictions for other crimes, also crimes we don't yet know about, and probably have done something they don't want the cops to findout about = Run?

so i have to asum that you think they Should pursue all suspects regaurdless of the crime?

Moosemedic said:
?

Papaelk, speeds are pretty hard to determine visually, and although I question your estimate of "60 plus" I contend that traffic on that road travels much faster than 35 on a good day.

You must not be to familar with Federal Heights and i would have to say that the ave. speed in the post and enforced 35 mph section of 92nd ave which runs right through Federal Height between Federal and Pecos st. would be about 38 mph being one who drives it Daily.

Also do beleive there is a law in the Denver Metro area That prohibits more than 2 police car being actively envolved in a car Chase

Moosemedic

Spud.... WELL SAID Sir

papaelk... Yeah, I'm saying if you run you get beat sounds like a great policy to me.

About 9 years ago a Trooper responded to a property damage accident between Leadville and Copper Mountain. As he's walking back to one of the driver's cars to hand him his Licese, registration and Insurance, he's fired upon from inside the vehicle. After the chase was over, and the suspect was fatally shot, Texas Authorities went to notify the family. They were all dead, hacked to pieces. So yeah, I'm all about chasing them down and finding out why they ran in the first place.

papaelk

Moosemedic said:
Spud.... WELL SAID Sir

papaelk... Yeah, I'm saying if you run you get beat sounds like a great policy to me.

About 9 years ago a Trooper responded to a property damage accident between Leadville and Copper Mountain. As he's walking back to one of the driver's cars to hand him his Licese, registration and Insurance, he's fired upon from inside the vehicle. After the chase was over, and the suspect was fatally shot, Texas Authorities went to notify the family. They were all dead, hacked to pieces. So yeah, I'm all about chasing them down and finding out why they ran in the first place.

I disagree with you Moose and its Chases like this am that take peoples lives who did not deserve to be taken! the chase was "uncalled for"

End of conversation This has gotten way of topic for this forum.
Thank you

Troop

papaelk said:
Also do beleive there is a law in the Denver Metro area That prohibits more than 2 police car being actively envolved in a car Chase

umm nope

RckyMtns2

Well, for what it's worth...I was listening to this chase as it was going down and I agree with papaelk when he says not every evade of stop is worth the chase...now as for Park County Sheriff Fred Wegener's chase yesterday CUDOS to him...that's different b/c it was an attempted murder on an officer when the perp tried to run him down. But, for chases in general...we are talking innocent, law abidding folks who also share the roads, we are taking our kids to school and other places and I for one never want to see innocent ppl brought down b/c cops are chasing perps. And bad guys and cops are weaving in and out of traffic trying to PIT or strip the bad guy...horrible accidents have been known to happen and take out the wrong person!

Last edited:

Spud

The risk factor.

RckyMtns2 said:
Well, for what it's worth...I was listening to this chase as it was going down and I agree with papaelk when he says not every evade of stop is worth the chase...now as for Park County Sheriff Fred Wegener's chase yesterday CUDOS to him...that's different b/c it was an attempted murder on an officer when the perp tried to run him down. But, for chases in general...we are talking innocent, law abidding folks who also share the roads, we are taking our kids to school and other places and I for one never want to see innocent ppl brought down b/c cops are chasing perps. And bad guys and cops are weaving in and out of traffic trying to PIT or strip the bad guy...horrible accidents have been known to happen and take out the wrong person!

I did not monitor the chase that started this thread and even if I had, I would certainly not be qualified to make a judgement regarding the actions taken based only on what was transmitted on the radio system.

I also did not state that every runner should be chased. Again, it depends on the totality of the circumstances, which include much more than just the PC for the stop. I am saying that it is wrong to adopt written departmental regulation (or worse legislative laws) prohibiting all vehicular chases. The public has to depend on the discretionary decision making ability of its law enforcement personnel in many situations. It is a significant part of their training and that should include traffic related issues.

There are always risks involved with those type of incidents. Even if there is no other traffic within miles, there is risk to both the runner and the pursuit officer. There is even risk (to the runner and other persons) involved in failing to stop the runner. No one (other than perhaps the runner) wants to see any damage or injury result from this type of action. That is why no officer or street supervisor would be scrutinized by a responsible command chain for making the decision to call off a pursuit or failing to initiate one based on the conditions at the moment.

(and in case you are wondering, yes, I am retired Colorado Law Enforcement)

The spud.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.