adapter to put motorola 800 mhz antenna on scanner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

danblashkc81

Premium Subscriber
Hey, a question for all you Motorola techs out there.
Is there an adapter, or some other way to mate an antenna off of a Motorola 800 MHz radio to a scanner with a bnc female antenna jack. I'm having some issues picking up p25, and thought if I could put a professional antenna on the scanner that was designed for everyday use on 800 that it might help some. Any suggestions? I know Motorola uses a special type of reverse sma connector. Motorola part numbers would also help so I know what to look for.
Thanks in advance

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
This was actually just asked by someone else a few weeks ago. Short answer? Yes, absolutely... But it depends a little bit on the scanner you are using and the antenna you are using. Most likely you will need a BNC male to SMA male adaptor (like this BNC Male Plug to SMA Male Plug RF Adapter Connector | eBay ).

If you were using a scanner with an SMA connector like the 396/396XT then you would need an SMA-M/SMA-M adaptor.

danblashkc81

Premium Subscriber
ok, thanks forts. Guess I should have scrolled back a little further. :) I'm using a pro-106, so it would have to be some type of straight berril connector, that would allow the antenna to be carried on the scanner. Looked like the link was for coaxial jumpers. Do they make something like that in a solid berril connector?

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin

True, that's an option... but if you already have the Motorola antenna available then a $2 adaptor is a nice workaround.

I was working in a hospital one day and happened to notice they had a big box set out for electronic waste/recycling. First thing I noticed in the pile of junk was 5 or 6 older Motorola portables, all beat to crap... but the antennas were in good shape.... :)

Bizzle

My thinking...I'm trying to pick up a somewhat distant, but not to distant, 800 digital system that comes in every now and then with the RS 800 mhz antenna. Thought this idea might pull it in better.

Status
Not open for further replies.