Add a Rear PC Connection to the BCD996T

Status
Not open for further replies.

cg

Premium Subscriber
Looks good, it is a basic mod that is very straightforward.

I had to send my radio back due to a problem with the cheap front audio connector so I would imagine the small serial connector is just as crappy. I did learn that Uniden has gotten VERY cheap with the screws used to hold the radio together. I have opened Uniden radios literally humdreds of times and never stripped one. I stripped two with the 996. It ended up costing me for the repair on the audio jack as they listed the radio as "tampered" with.

You should protect the wires that go through the hole in the radio. The movement in a vehicle will chafe the wires constantly. Perhaps opening the hole enough to allow the full cable to go into the hole and then placing a clamp on the inside to keep it from sliding back out. Many hardware stores have rubber grommets that may be effective as well.

chris

Trixter

Agreed on Uniden is getting very cheap on what they are using.

I agree on the wires through the hole. Its just a test right now and I notice that when I did it. I have the grommets and will be using them when I mount the serial connection to the frame.

RPSINFOMAN

The quality doesn't surprise me, after it all it does have the "Made in China" label. It's all about maximum profitability. There's not a 100 bucks worth of material in these units if that. A very high profit item!

Jim88

Other cheap parts

You can add the BNC connector to the list of cheap parts in this scanner. Mine does not make a good connection to the antenna wire. I had to add a system with a TV station and assign it to a quick key just so I can press a button and see if I have a signal or not. If not, I wiggle the antenna wire until I get one. Pretty sad for a critical part on a $500 scanner. I would send it in, but I'm pretty sure that I would be without it for 3-4 weeks and get just as cheap a part as a replacement.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.