Added a cb to the Freightliner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
After not having a cb in my truck for at least 15 years or so I got the itch to put one in again. That's my SDS200 sitting on top of it. It's a tall setup, but I just raise my air-ride seat up a tad bit....

Attachments

• 20210112_152933.jpg
    20210112_152933.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 639

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
For some reason I've always thought it would be fun to install radios in a big rig - like, to create my little nest where ham radios, scanner, and CB were in easy reach for use while heading down the road. I'm not a truck driver but they seem like a good space for setting up a mobile shack.

slowmover

For some reason I've always thought it would be fun to install radios in a big rig - like, to create my little nest where ham radios, scanner, and CB were in easy reach for use while heading down the road. I'm not a truck driver but they seem like a good space for setting up a mobile shack.

The “problem” to solve has several aspects.
1). Most drivers are in fleet trucks not owned by them.
2). Owners don’t want a driver to modify the truck (that isn’t invisible afterwards).
3). Truck interiors generate noise not found in typical private vehicles.
4). Composite bodies (underlain by sheet metal) make for difficulty in antenna mounts.
5). Complicated electrical systems have to be bypassed and/or isolated.

Example: to make a power run to the battery Postive is an almost 20’ length of wire. Getting past the armored firewall isn’t easy (and have to be stealthy). The Negative to chassis near the battery is easily 15’. That’s a 35-40’ circuit.

I agree it’s attractive as you’ve stated. But it’s not for the faint of heart.

The second example is in finding examples. There aren’t many. Some HAM operators have posted pics and such, but it’s an almost vanishingly small group who have executed the nearest to an ideal installation for that gear as listed.

It’s worth the trouble. But even as a driver talking with other drivers (who recognize the value of instant info) it’s a hard sell.

Following the model & parts list — plus work description — of someone else is the likeliest way to get things going.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
My Freightliner Century set up. Crete Carrier Company truck. No drilling or modifications allowed. I used industrial strength Velcro to attach a two cup drinkholder to my dash to hold my scanner and my 2-meter ht and Satphone. Also had overhead cubby hole install of two Galaxys - one a CB and one 10-meter. Firestick on my driver side mirror to the CB. Remtronnix on a passenger window mount for the scanners. Hustler CG on passenger window mount to my 10-meter. Satellite radio, and DeLorme Commercial GPS Driver. I was wired for sound, too. Pro Studio Mackies in my sleeper. Tascam DP24SD 24-track digital portable studio. iPad. Guitars. WheneveI had unexpected downtime I always had a good time ;)

:) rigstuff.jpg

My Freightliner Century set up. Crete Carrier Company truck. No drilling or modifications allowed. I used industrial strength Velcro to attach a two cup drinkholder to my dash to hold my scanner and my 2-meter ht and Satphone. Also had overhead cubby hole install of two Galaxys - one a CB and one 10-meter. Firestick on my driver side mirror to the CB. Remtronnix on a passenger window mount for the scanners. Hustler CG on passenger window mount to my 10-meter. Satellite radio, and DeLorme Commercial GPS Driver. I was wired for sound, too. Pro Studio Mackies in my sleeper. Tascam DP24SD 24-track digital portable studio. iPad. Guitars. WheneveI had unexpected downtime I always had a good time ;)

:) View attachment 97067
Nice!

CanesFan95

How come trucks don't ever have the CB antenna right on top of the trailer right in the middle. All that height and an awesome ground plane.

Status
Not open for further replies.