Added a cb to the Freightliner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
alot of the roofs on our trailers are fiberglass as well I'm pretty sure, oh and they are 13'6" so any low bridge and no more antenna and mount.
back in my Cabover days I was in an ice storm in Maine and a tree completely sheared off my antenna mounted on my mirror1998-international-eagle-9800-cabover-tandem-axle-sleeper-semi-truck-252319455823-0.jpg

Last edited:

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
the deal with CB mostly is that it really degenerated over time, absolutely 0 regulation, the advent of smartphones and such contributed to the demise so to speak, I still have some good conversations, but to be honest I really just don't want to turn it on half the time

the deal with CB mostly is that it really degenerated over time, absolutely 0 regulation, the advent of smartphones and such contributed to the demise so to speak, I still have some good conversations, but to be honest I really just don't want to turn it on half the time
I'll tell you what, after not having one for 15 years or so, after putting it in last week there really isn't a lot of chatter. Back in the 80's & into the early 2000's it was busy. I was pretty surprised at how quiet it is. Still didn't stop me from ordering a new Galaxy 979f yesterday though.... Lol

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Like a lot of things, it's location dependent. Locally, several guys have CBs...surprisingly, many are also hams. Ironically, they will go back and forth from "11 meter" to 2m or 70cm throughout the day...no idea why. I guess they just like CB, too. One guy runs a 'net' on CB ch 1 every evening. Many who check in are hams but there are a few others who aren't licensed so they're CB only. I guess my point is, location is key - some areas may have a lot of CB activity and others not.

Of course, on the interstates you can always hear something on CB 19.

CanesFan95

It's a shame seeing CB antennas mounted on mirror panels with no ground plane and the cab & trailer get in the way of the signal.

slowmover

A semi tractor is like any other mobile installation in that attention to details yields results. Small changes add up
The difficulty of a semi tractor is that it generates more noise than a typical private vehicle and that there is next to never a great antenna mount & location.

slowmover

I'll tell you what, after not having one for 15 years or so, after putting it in last week there really isn't a lot of chatter. Back in the 80's & into the early 2000's it was busy. I was pretty surprised at how quiet it is. Still didn't stop me from ordering a new Galaxy 979f yesterday though.... Lol

Nice choice. I have one sitting in front of me just now. Used it in the big truck several years. Will be headed to another driver.

There’s “more” out there that you aren’t hearing. The radio does, but you don’t. Digital Signal Processing enables clarity where it wasn’t possible before. There are stand-alone modules that go between the radio and external speaker, or, as I’ve had the past 6.5-years from oilfield to OTR, a WEST MOUNTAIN RADIO CLEARSPEECH DSP SPEAKER.

That, and an RM ITALY KL203 will allow you both to Hear, and Get Heard. A 979 is a great radio to pair these with.

Get the best antenna mounted, trace down the noise you can treat with ferrites or other.

No $5-600 “ custom” CB/Export will match it. Could match it.

You and I can run together and I’ll hear that you didn’t know was out there. And they will hear me.

Clean Power
Best Antenna Install

DSP
Some Fire

Most guys won’t do up a nice radio rig. You want to hear, and be heard, it’s on you.

I can rustle up talk almost any time I want.
And I’m kicking 75W tops, not 350W like some.

It’s a tool or a toy. You want to continue to lose money by not having a high quality rig, be my guest. Whatever I’ve spent on Radio has come back to me many times.

Mobile Install

slowmover

alot of the roofs on our trailers are fiberglass as well I'm pretty sure, oh and they are 13'6" so any low bridge and no more antenna and mount.
back in my Cabover days I was in an ice storm in Maine and a tree completely sheared off my antenna mounted on my mirrorView attachment 97128

I run big truck antennas right up to 14’. Were I constantly going down restricted roads (job required), maybe not. But for coast to coast OTR, I’ve rarely contacted anything.

This gets the antenna a little ways above a 13’5” trailer. And that helps.

With today’s JB HUNT FL Evos, a ProComm Mount will take a 7’ Skipshooter when angled forward just slightly. With a cophase pair it’ll rock.

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
I used to have a Stryker it was my favorite, shot skip to Illinois once but I’m finding I’m just not that sociable anymore I guess

Status
Not open for further replies.