Adding new systems to favourites list - 436/536hp

Status
Not open for further replies.

sefrischling

Public Information Officer
How do you add a new system to a Favourites List?

I had created one list with
CSP Shoreline East
Conn Shoreline East LAW

and didn't add in
Waterford/New London Trunk LAW

... when I try and add Wtfd/NL into that favourites list there seems to be no way to add it. I need to make this a new favourites list with a new FavList number, which makes no sense to me. I can't assign it the same number.

Am I missing something?

sefrischling

UPMan,

I am using ARC 536. I can't figure out how to get ARC 536 HPD files into Sentinel which accepts HPE files. If I load them from ARC 536, can I then 'merge them' from within the radio menu?

I am torn, I love and hate the 436hp. I love what it can offer, but it is learning an entirely new way of doing what I have been able to do in my sleep for years.

Thanks for chiming in. I appreciate it.

sefrischling

UPMan

If I import them from the radio into Sentinel, can I merge them and then import them merged back into the 436hp?

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Seems to me it would be easier to just add the system to the existing favorites list (easy to do in Sentinel...I would expect it to be so in ARC, as well). If you are just brining in from the main dB, you'd just right click on the system and select "Add to Favorites List" then pick which FL to add it to. Then, open that FL and adjust the system settings (SQK, DQK, etc).

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
From what I've heard (and my limited experience trying out the basic, time-restricted version), ARC only lets you manipulate one favorites list at a time. If you want to work with more than one favorites list, you can't.

Sentinel lets you do everything you want all at once.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I'm using both Sentinel and ARC 536 Pro. ARC does some things better than Sentinel and vice versa.

After programming something to my scanner using one of the programs, I'll read the scenner and save the data to the other program, so I'll have parallel files.

Back to the main question:

In ARC, you can add a new system to an existing Favorites List quite easily. First open the Favorites List. Then click on the Internet tab>Radio Reference. Do the log-in process. Then go to the desired state, next county or agency as appropriate. Once you've got the lower pane (data tab) populated with data, check the desired boxes for what you want to add to your existing Favorites List. Lastly, click the green Import command button. The additional system is added to the browser with your original Favorites List.

You can continue this process if you want to add other systems.

Lastly you can edit the newly added System(s), assigning quick keys and so on as desired.

One thing to note: In the middle of the Radio Reference WebService Window, you'll see three tabs about a 1/3 of the way down. One of these says "Alpha Tag Options". Here you have the ability to choose to either import the shortened alpha tag for the channel names, or the longer channel description. It's your choice. The Trunk Options tab will allow you to choose whether to import all channles or primary, or alternate control channels as you wish.

Obviously you'll have to write the revised Favorites List to your scanner and save the file as the very last steps.

sefrischling

ofd8001

Thanks but why log into RR?

I use only systems made from scratch, none are downloaded from RR. I am sure I will at some point, but I just don't. Each system is custom made by me for me.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Even easier (if you're not using ones you made by hand)..

Right click on a system in Sentinel.
Click "Append to Favorites List"
Select a list or type in the new list you want to create.
Upload to scanner.

I'm planning a trip to Nevada in June and all I had to do to create a favorites list was open Nevada in the Sentinel DB, pick Clark County (I'll be pretty stationary), right-click, append, and then go into the favorites list and delete the systems I'm not going to want to hear. And I don't need to pay for third-party software to do it.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I log in to RR to import data for several reasons. One, I'm lazy and hate to do any more than just the minimum amount of typing. Two, I have "fat fingers" from time to time and can mis-enter data - especially GPS stuff. Three, I want to get the most out of the dollars I spent to be an RR premium subscriber.

But as you want, you can add new systems to an existing Favorite Lists from scratch. Open the desired Favorites List. Click the File tab, drop down to Add. Then move the the drop down box beside the right pointer and select the applicable type of system you wish to add and you are on your way.

Alternatively you can go to the lower left hand corner and you'll see some command buttons (Con, Mot Eda, LT, P25). Clicking on these buttons also adds a new system to the Favorites List.

The next line down will add sites/departments/channels to that new system. Just be sure you've selected the system you want to add the sites/departments/channels, or they'll go into the "wrong" place.

Also ARC has an import feature, so you could import systems you've created for your 396XT scanner (presuming these were created with ARC XT). Like I said above, I'm on the lazy side and avoid re-plowing fields unless absolutely necessary.

phask

Premium Subscriber
To each his own - but why not use any, either, both of the programs to create your system?

Even if you are a control freak, you can still create a FL quicker with 90% or more correct. I guarantee if you are typing everything you will have errors.

Now MAYBE you have files and file you copy and paste and spend an unreal amount of time keeping it up to date. If so .....

sefrischling

Phask,

Given that you don't know what I listen to , or why I listen to them for my job, you have no idea whether or not a pre-created list from RR makes any sense for me.

sefrischling

Alternatively you can go to the lower left hand corner and you'll see some command buttons (Con, Mot Eda, LT, P25). Clicking on these buttons also adds a new system to the Favorites List.

The next line down will add sites/departments/channels to that new system. Just be sure you've selected the system you want to add the sites/departments/channels, or they'll go into the "wrong" place.

Also ARC has an import feature, so you could import systems you've created for your 396XT scanner (presuming these were created with ARC XT). Like I said above, I'm on the lazy side and avoid re-plowing fields unless absolutely necessary.

Thanks, I'll go give this a shot tonight.

I have been importing my ARC XT files. Still some hands on work to make them work for the ARC 536 software, but still a huge time savings.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
If you've already done some importing, you may already know this, but on the off-chance you haven't seen it. . .

ARC 536 doesn't appear to be importing any quick key information from ARC XT files, nor does it import any GPS settings. (Gommert is aware of this).

Also, you have to edit your Service Types, since such things are not native to the XT files. (You can specificy a default Service Type for importing files by going to Setup>Software Setup and selecting the desired Default Service Type from the combo box.

sefrischling

OK,

I am confused, all my files are HPD, I see now "fav" file, and where do you select File_Add? I do not see it as an option anywhere in the software.

Help please. Thank you.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
An "HPD" file is a collection of systems that make up a Favorites List.

Before I can answer your question, I need a little more information. Is what you want to add a completely new system, or is it something that you have already created and saved it as an "HPD" file.

Depending upon whether it is totally new, or has been created and saved as an HPD file will determine the next steps.

We'll get you where you want to go in either case.

Status
Not open for further replies.