Adding PDF, .xls files to the wiki

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I've noticed in the last week or two that some folks are adding pdf, .xls and even a .zip file to the wiki, but it's evident there's some confusion as to how to properly add a link for it. It gets flagged on my 'unused files' list which I do at least once a day.

Part of the confusion, I think, is that when the file is uploaded, the result from the wiki comes back as 'Image:(some file name here)' when in fact it really isn't. That's a bug in the upload process, and it's understandable that it gets people confused.

The correct way to hyperlink to a PDF, .xls, .zip or any other non displayable form that we support is to use the Media command. It's very similar to the Image command, but doesn't have nearly the flexibility. Here's an example;

[[Media:Esk.zip|Etrunker with ESK support]]

(bold added by me for emphasis)

The file name is followed by a pipe symbol (shift of \ - anyone remember these?) and a brief description of the file. If it's a PDF file, please say something to that effect in the description.

If it pertains to something for a specific county, and the county the file is for doesn't exist, please feel free to add it.

HTH

73 Mike

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.