Adding "scanner legality" to each state's main page

Status
Not open for further replies.

cubn

Database Admin
The idea came to mind to have each state’s main page (ex. http://radioreference.com/modules.php?name=RR&stid=18) have an indicator if the state has any laws restricting scanner usage. Maybe just a small text box or icon, which people could click to get a further explanation of the law and see if they are exempt or not.

I know people can already use a source like this website:
http://www.afn.org/~afn09444/scanlaws/scanner5.html but some people may not think to look there, or they may not even be aware that some states have laws restricting scanners (to varying degrees).

The state main pages are pretty full but I think it would help travelers to avoid legal trouble. If new laws are passed, or state’s repeal existing scanner legislation, the page could be updated just like any other database change.

I found a brief RRWiki page about this issue:
http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Scanner_Laws

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
I'd advise a word of caution on that.

Suppose someone reads a wiki page or other item here that says mobile scanners are legal in a certain state - then come to find out they aren't.... In today's litigious society, Lindsay could find himself defending the use of common sense in a court of law. You could of course disclaim the snot out of it, but honestly I think that's more hassle then it's worth.

I'd advise not doing it, or if he did, to have a lawyer draft up an iron clad disclaimer that you would have to read AND agree to before seeing that info. Sad but true....

-AZ

cubn

Database Admin
Maybe I should reword the subject to "adding scanner leagality status to state's with confirmed anti-scanner laws".

If there are no known laws, then there is no idicator. If we have known laws (ex. Indiana, Michigan), then there could be an indicator/warning on that page. That way your not telling someone that something is legal when it's not, rather you are just warning them to be aware that there are or may be legal restrictions in that area. (legally though, maybe a non-indicator is the same as claiming that scanners are legal and therefore AZscanner's point is that we should leave it to other sites to tell people where scanners are legal)

If admins don't think it's worth doing, I don't really care. The idea just came to mind when I was planning a trip. Not only does a person need to consider whether their destination state allows scanners, but also all the states they will drive through (just because it's legal to have a scanner in LocationX doesn't mean it's legal to have it in the car with you while you drive through an illegal scanner-state to get there). When planning a trip, I often view the main state pages to find out what systems the Highway Patrol uses; therefore I would immediately see if scanners/scanner use is prohibited.

Just an idea...

Last edited:

n3ncn

I agree with AZScanner, What if I programmed South Carolina because the page said it was legal and the law went into effect the same day out lawing it while I was driving thru there. Who's to blame?
Disclaimer: The use of South Carolina was an EXAMPLE ONLY I did not check any laws out first..Just an example

Last edited:

STiMULi

It is probably safer for evertone as AZscanner has stated if you do your own research.

Arizona has a statues page that gives great info.

Here is an excerpt:

11. "Readily accessible to the general public" means a radio communication that is not:

(a) Scrambled or encrypted.

(b) Transmitted using modulation techniques with essential parameters that have been withheld from the public to preserve the privacy of the communication.

(c) Carried on a subcarrier or other signal subsidiary to a radio transmission.

(d) Transmitted over a communication system provided by a common carrier, unless the communication is a tone-only paging system communication.

(e) Transmitted on frequencies allocated under part 25, subpart D, E or F or part 74 or part 94 of the rules of the federal communications commission. If a communication transmitted on a frequency allocated under part 74 is not exclusively allocated to broadcast auxiliary services, the communication is a two-way voice communication system by radio.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
We already provide links to at least a couple of such web pages here on the site or in the wiki. I don't remember exactly where, but they are there. I think that is the extent of the risk envolved.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hi all,

Listing laws by state is only the tip of the iceberg. Because municipalities may have thier own codes and ordinances you're tap dancing in a mine field while juggling hand grenades.

For the umpteenth time, when in doubt, don't.

unitcharlie

a Kentucky DB Admin...
Premium Subscriber
With a little study time each day for a few weeks, less than $20.00 and an hour or so sitting in a classroom you can trump most scanner laws.... get a ticket, it's easy, it's fun and useful for more than making the scanner in your car legal!

Gilligan

Database Admin
unitcharlie said:
you can trump most scanner laws.... get a ticket, it's easy, it's fun and useful for more than making the scanner in your car legal!
This is actually what originally drove me to get my ham license years ago. I always wanted to be a ham but never messed with it until I moved to Florida. Their laws are pretty tight, so I got a ticket and had a whole lot of fun with ham radio. Now when I travel, I don't have to worry so much about my scanners, which for the time being I use a whole lot more than ham radio...

Status
Not open for further replies.