Adding text when programming pro 164

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a R/S pro 164. I actually was sucessful at manual programming some of what I wanted including adding text. An example is the talkgroup indicates "cib" when I manually entered the freq. I added "detectives" which displays when that group becomes active. I now have arc 300, a radioshack cable and have up-graded my subscription to rr.com. I have found no information as to adding talkgroup specific text when programming from my laptop. Does anyone know if this is an available option, and if so where/how do I enter it,or do I have to add manually after programming. Sorry to be so long-winded but I was hoping to explain fully. Thanks!

kilowa22

I haven't run arc300, but in most software next to the talk group id there is a box to add your text descripition for that talk group. I just looked at a screen shot of ARC300. In the browser column on the far left there is a list of banks along with Frequencies, talkgroups & settings. After programming the frequencies in that trunked bank you select talkgroups and enter in and/or edit the talkgroup numbers and names.
http://www.butel.nl/products/arc300/edit3003.jpg

SCPD

QRT
I have a R/S pro 164. I actually was sucessful at manual programming some of what I wanted including adding text. An example is the talkgroup indicates "cib" when I manually entered the freq. I added "detectives" which displays when that group becomes active. I now have arc 300, a radioshack cable and have up-graded my subscription to rr.com. I have found no information as to adding talkgroup specific text when programming from my laptop. Does anyone know if this is an available option, and if so where/how do I enter it,or do I have to add manually after programming. Sorry to be so long-winded but I was hoping to explain fully. Thanks!

It is right there in the table used to enter talkgroups, identified as Alpha Tag. There is also a column for comments, but this does not display to the scanner, only the Alpha Tags will.

Thank you for your responses. I think I have an idea how to do this now and will give it a try. I will post my success or failure. Thanks again. By the way, nice chair, Dak.

Total failure. I even tried Starrsoft program to do the same thing. Maybe after working with this a little longer it will get better. It may be me but neither of these programs are very easy to work with.

N8IAA

When you open Win97 and click on the channels tab, the first bank BANK 0 opens on your screen. When you look next to the bank #, the next box says Alphatag. You click on the box and it is highlighted, then you enter the tag. This is where you put the tag for the frequency in the next box labeled Frequency. Above the boxes that say Frequency and Rx mode is the Bank Tag window. You can alphatag your bank to show what is in the bank/banks that are scanning. The software is quite easy to learn. Don't make it harder on yourself It is way easier than trying to program the radio manually:)
HTH,
Larry

Last edited:

N8IAA

One mistake I made early using Win97 with the 163 was to not click on the appropriate spot on the drop down window under the heading scanner. Make sure you click on the spot where it says Pro-164/163. Make sure you save the too.
Larry

KC5EIB

Feed Provider
The import feature imports the text info from the RR database, if there is no data to import or the RR database has generic info (like Police) in it. that is what will be imported.

Status
Not open for further replies.